Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Why buy ST2 is so expensive ?

Re: Why buy ST2 is so expensive ?

Postby sfuchs on Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:07 am

Sublimetext is too expensive? I say no. Coda will cost about 64 euros, a sexy interface is that it was already - I bought Coda and I'm not really happy with it. Unlike Sublimetext. FTP support, because I have Transmit.

For a professional developer of the award sets eh represents the lowest hurdle, the price for the license sought is purely with an hour of work and still have money for a good lunch for disposal.

For recreational users Sublimetext may be too expensive, because that would not make any money, but you're not forced to buy one license needs to take the "buy me" message be content.

In my understanding, it certainly looks like that when I use a tool which gives me an advantage, then I should also be willing to pay the price. Otherwise, I have to look for other alternatives (of which there are plenty).

I also pay for the current state of the software, I do not buy a lifetime of updates. I can not expect every day JPS developed a new update so that my update addiction is satisfied. Sure it would be nice if once JPS clearly expresses the future because it is surprising, even if since September no new nightly update came out.
sfuchs

Postby pier on Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:47 pm

sfuchs wrote:Sublimetext is too expensive? I say no. Coda will cost about 64 euros, a sexy interface is that it was already - I bought Coda and I'm not really happy with it. Unlike Sublimetext. FTP support, because I have Transmit.

For a professional developer of the award sets eh represents the lowest hurdle, the price for the license sought is purely with an hour of work and still have money for a good lunch for disposal.

For recreational users Sublimetext may be too expensive, because that would not make any money, but you're not forced to buy one license needs to take the "buy me" message be content.

In my understanding, it certainly looks like that when I use a tool which gives me an advantage, then I should also be willing to pay the price. Otherwise, I have to look for other alternatives (of which there are plenty).

I also pay for the current state of the software, I do not buy a lifetime of updates. I can not expect every day JPS developed a new update so that my update addiction is satisfied. Sure it would be nice if once JPS clearly expresses the future because it is surprising, even if since September no new nightly update came out.

Well said.
pier

Postby ArtDesire on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:36 pm

I'm agreed with OP. Let's imagine, if ST2 costs $10, it'll be too many users of pro version, and developers will get more money. Even OSX cost much cheaper. I love ST2, but currently I have to use ST2 and NP++ because NP++ have built-in FTP plugin.
ArtDesire

Postby HKei on Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:30 pm

I'd have to disagree. It's roughly the price of a normal technical book, certainly affordable. Considering the amount of time we spend in text editors, the price is ok (I personally regard it as an investment in continued development of ST).

I still use vim or emacs for some tasks, and I was so far unable to use anything other than Eclipse/Netbeans/IntelliJ for nontrivial java applications (and even trivial ones get annoying pretty fast), but especially for dynamic languages like Clojure, CoffeeScript or Ruby I prefer the lightweight-ness of editors like Sublime (without actually sacrificing power!).
HKei

Postby pier on Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:13 pm

Even OSX cost much cheaper.

Apple does not make money with OSX, they win money by selling hardware. OSX is just a way to make people keep on buying their hardware, that is why it's so cheap.

I have to use ST2 and NP++ because NP++ have built-in FTP plugin.

There are plenty of free FTP clients for Mac OS such as Cyber Duck. But if you want to use a built in solution, there's even an FTP plugin for ST.
http://wbond.net/sublime_packages/sftp
pier

Postby iPaintCode on Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:31 am

One hour into a freelance project will easily pay for ST2, I wonder how many hours Jon put into developing ST2?

Do the right thing and support awesome indie developers.
iPaintCode

Postby amphetamine on Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:07 am

As a developer of exclusively open source software and freeware, ST isn't affordable to me because I choose to give away the things I write with it. Kind of ironic in a not-really-ironic-at-all sorta way.

I know it's by personal choice but it's still a bitter pill to swallow.
amphetamine

Postby ElectronicWar on Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:35 pm

Dunno, I don't make any money with ST2 either and had no problem buying ST2 after about 2 months of evaluation.
I bought a lot of software I really like even if there's open source for it (FTP, Archiver, etc...).

I think it's a matter of personal preference.
ElectronicWar

Postby strykr on Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:16 am

I evaluated ST2 for a couple months, but after using it for 9-10hrs a day, 5-6days a week.. more then happy to pay the small $60 fee :)
strykr

Postby Den.rimus on Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:01 pm

About this "unlimited" evaluation period, when we can use ST2 without paying: is it legal to use unregistered copy on my work PC in office? I mean I'm agree to see those reminders during saving etc, and sure to buy legal copy in several month but in theory - is there any theoretical law violation in using it on evaluation terms in company, for work purposes?

btw, price is ok, I think. Usually, people who write code for money using such soft make 10, 20 or even 50 times (per month I mean) as ST2 costs. At least, in Ukraine.
Den.rimus

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion