Sublime Forum

Printing from sublime

Please can someone with OSX test my QuickPrint feature briefly and let me know if it succeeds. Andy.

0 Likes

Another vote for print support.

Yikes.

0 Likes

I tried Sublime for a month, decided I liked it, paid for it… then needed to print something.

Surprise! This application does not print.

This sours the deal but doesn’t kill it. Sublime Text 2 is still an excellent addition to my library, but… wow. That’s a pretty basic feature. I expect I am among the masses taking that for granted.

Please consider making this a priority.

Thanks.

0 Likes

I don’t know if native support for printing will ever be added to Sublime Text. Maybe in version 3 … But for the rare occasions I need it, this plugin works well enough: SublimePrint. I first created it as a quick hack last april. It was then substantially extended by Kai Ellinger a few months ago, and again cleaned up by me just now. It has been submitted to package control, but you can get it directly from github.com/svenax/SublimePrint until gets is added. Give it a shot.

0 Likes

+1 for simple printing! Would be great even just to produce PDF pages of code. Right now there is no way from within Sublime to do this relatively basic task.

0 Likes

+1, I was just recommended Sublime and the first feature I was going to use, printing in color after importing a piece of code is not implemented, so holding a little bit before migrating here for now.

Can you please update the thread when this gets implemented so I have another look?

Cheers.

0 Likes

I just dropped $70 on what I had chosen as THE text editor in my tool set based on rave reviews and an impressive trial run. Obviously the trial didn’t last long enough. Seriously, how hard is it to print text to a printer? I don’t even need it to be syntax highlighted or anything. Oh, I get it…this is one of those jokes you play on the new guy. Ha, good one guys. You really had me going there. Now can I have the real version of the tool I just paid for?

0 Likes

You must be joking. Is there anyone who writes text and never needs to print it? Do I really have to switch to another editor just to print the few lines that I need to print?
Is there any other editor that doesn’t print? Or is this some sort of religious thing, like single buttoned mouses?

Ahem, well, sorry about the rant. Just my +1.

0 Likes

There are multiple plugins for this (producing IMO better output than any editor with built-in printing), most notably github.com/n1k0/SublimeHighlight.

0 Likes

Utterly amazed I can’t print. Why does the Help system tell me I can when I can’t.
I want my money back.
Junk software again
Oh: and no support for fortran either. Back to BBedit which atr least works well.

0 Likes

Did you have a look at the github.com/fraoustin/Sublime2pdf plugin. IMHO this is the nearest you can get printing-wise. Works like a charm out of the box.

0 Likes

Almost 4 years of the same request. It’s an awesome tool… and could be awesome-r.

If we’re going to pay for it, then listen to what is wanted. Printing, obviously, is wanted.

0 Likes

Surprising omission.

I searched Google because I thought I was just stupidly missing something obvious but, then, I found this thread.

I am currently assessing the demo of Sublime, is it missing a lot of basic features like this?

When working on big projects, I will quite often print out pages of code and assemble them on a big magnetic whiteboard, to give me a quick overview. I presumed this was a fairly common practice.

0 Likes

To be honest, I think omitting this feature is silly. It is a feature that should be implementable in relatively few steps, and little effort. And one that is often expected of a text editor, and requested frequently of Sublime Text.

0 Likes

Just bought Sublime Text 3 about an hour ago. Spent my time testing RegEx implementation, customization options, auto-completion abilities, etc. before purchase. Never even occurred to me I’d need to check for printing!

While I acknowledge printing isn’t a highly used feature it’s omission, for the few times you do need it, is frustrating. For a full featured editor at this price point, printing should be included - period.

0 Likes

See:

stackoverflow.com/questions/1600 … 2/19112383

0 Likes

I am a new user to ST. I was stunned when I tried to print and couldn’t easily do so. Why WOULDN’T such a fundamental function be included? I’ve read some of the comments saying "I’ve been a {DBA/ web developer / whatever} for X years / decades / millennia… and I never need to print… or hardly ever… and then the comments saying how desperately print capability is needed. Where is the logic being applied here? If you’re a ST user that never prints, mazel tov! But if you need to print, you should be able to. Printing is NOT an “after thought” or “not a high priority”. What’s the harm in it being there if you don’t want to use it?

I think ST may be missing a fair share of market if they think the product is only used by coders / scripters. Those syntax / context sensitive aware capabilities are great. But there are folks that need just a raw text editor that can do global text editing across files or projects.

The value is there (increasing the perceived “bang for the buck” of a $70 editor. I WILL buy it if it could ever print. But consider… there are very capable & stable editors out there already - be it UltraEdit or EditPad Pro that DO print - right now, “as is” that don’t cost what ST does. Last time I checked, for instance, EditPad Pro was like $40 or so. Don’t get me wrong… I LIKE Sublime Text… Ok, I really like it, and had thought I would embrace it as my new default text editor. That’s not to be if it can’t print. I just won’t love it until it can print like essentially every other app I use can. I shouldn’t have to use Sublime Text to edit and then (but CAN if I NEED to) DreamWeaver, Word or Notepad to print. I’ll start with the app that can “do it all” - even if only moderately well instead of an awesome but limited text editor.

Just my 2¢… YAMMV! I hope Sublime Text can print soon. I look forward to becoming a registered user at that time.

–P

0 Likes

Well its not that i really want ST to print … i dont really care.

I think tho, that its a feature that IS EXPECTED in a text editor, what is NOT expected in a text editor is that it is capable of showing images, and from a couple of months not ST does that, to be honest that doesnt make any sense for me.

0 Likes

Add me to the list of those astounded that Sublime Text still cannot print.

I agree it’s not something you do all the time, but it’s a basic feature, and when you need to print something, well, you need to print something.

Does anyone know definitively whether ST3 will be able to print, or not?

0 Likes

I went to print out some rails models, scratched my head, then landed on this thread. Hilarious. ST is awesome! But no printing? This is just too funny.

0 Likes