Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Selecting by dragging with Wacom tablet

Selecting by dragging with Wacom tablet

Postby jollyboy on Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:09 am

Hi,

This is why I keep returning to Dreamweaver, but I'm persisting a bit more as I really like Sublime Text 2. I use a Wacom Bamboo tablet instead of a mouse, but within Sublime Edit 2 I can't select text properly by dragging the cursor. Here's what happens...

Say I've got this text open in a tab:
Code: Select all
<php echo "some text"; ?>

and I want to select the words 'some text', if I start a drag after the last 't' and drag until the beginning of the 's', the result will only be 'some ' is selected. It's four or five characters that seem to be missed from the beginning of the drag each time. It doesn't matter which direction, left, right, up or down, the result is the same.

Placing the cursor with the pen is fine and as accurate as it should be. It's just this dragging.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Clive
jollyboy

Re: Selecting by dragging with Wacom tablet

Postby pier on Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:42 pm

I have no problem with my Wacoms on Mac. I have a bamboo and an intuos.

Maybe you release the pen slightly after clicking the first time, and that generates an "unclick" and then another "click" of your pen. Hence that starts the selection later in the movement. You could activate the click sound in wacom preferences, and see if you are indeed generating "false clicks".

You could also try to switch to clicking with the buttons on your thumb (instead of the pen point), and see if that changes anything... maybe your pen is the one giving problems.

AFAIK Wacom drivers generate mouse events in the OS, so I don't think the problem lies in ST. I don't think ST can distinguish between a mouse and a tablet.
pier

Postby vjlomas on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:36 pm

I am also experiencing the same issue with 'dragging to select' with my Intuos 3 6x8 Wacom tablet. For text to be selected as intended, it is necessary to click (with a pen press) and hold until the cursor moves into position, and then drag. The issue does not occur in Sublime Text 2 when using the Wacom mouse on my tablet, and does not occur (with the pen) in any other text editing program. Any help appreciated! (Or suggestions for another editor - I am trying to find a replacement for Macromedia HomeSite.)
vjlomas

Postby jollyboy on Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:51 am

pier wrote:Maybe you release the pen slightly after clicking the first time, and that generates an "unclick" and then another "click" of your pen.

Nope. Not that. You'd have thought that after five years of using a Pen I'd know how to use it properly...

pier wrote:You could also try to switch to clicking with the buttons on your thumb (instead of the pen point), and see if that changes anything... maybe your pen is the one giving problems.
AFAIK Wacom drivers generate mouse events in the OS, so I don't think the problem lies in ST. I don't think ST can distinguish between a mouse and a tablet.

It's not the pen. In five years, I haven't experienced this in any other program. I think it's something to do with ST in Windows. I've recently upgraded to Windows 8 Pro and continue to experience it, even with a brand new download of ST.

vjlomas wrote:For text to be selected as intended, it is necessary to click (with a pen press) and hold until the cursor moves into position, and then drag.

This does not work for me. Any of the developers aware of this?
jollyboy

Postby weehervi on Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:39 pm

Hi all, just jumping in to say I'm experiencing exactly the same, with Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch (CTH-670 if that's relevant).

The behaviour outlined above, which appears to be just a delay before the cursor 'recognises' I'm doing a drag select, gives the result that the first few letters of your selection get ignored. Seems to always be the same number of characters (5) that are ignored, regardless of how carefully I click / how slowly I drag.

For a while I thought it was the Windows 8 'hold pen click so it turns into a right click option', as that seems to give me this same delayed drag problem system wide when it's enabled, but that was the first thing to get disabled. So now dragging around the system is fine with that off, but ST2 still gives us the delayed drag issue.

Just while I'm writing and testing this though, I notice that when drag selecting text elsewhere in Windows, the selection highlight will not actually begin until we've selected more than those 5 letters (at which point all other windows programs 'snap back' the highlight and begin the selection at the correct place.

In other words, I'm unable to drag select less than 5 characters at a time in Windows.

At that, I'm inclined to think this is a Wacom / Windows issue at play here, but I'll post this here in the hope it helps someone.
weehervi

Postby weehervi on Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:10 pm

Hey all, just to follow up.

Rebooted into OS X, no problems present at all. Figures as I got my tablet after recommendation from a mac user, and it operated flawlessly on his setup. Had hackintosh, did tablet, didn't notice this issue for a month.

Either way it just looks to me like whereas every other windows application compensates for the drag by snapping back the selection after a few characters (try it), Sublime isn't recognising this. Sublime devs, it doesn't sound like this is your problem to sort, rather some wierd idiosyncracy between Windows and Wacom. Wacom forums are full of complaints about other apps not registering clicks / drags properly.

Wacom + Windows users, the rest of the discussion looks to be over here > http://forum.wacom.eu/viewtopic.php?t=10988&p=46123
weehervi

Postby democrazy on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:33 am

Hey there, didn't see if anyone fixed this (busy working hah)

But there is a issue with win8 and Intuos 5. I have it with adobe products and sublime text 2.

A fix:

Go to your wacom pen properties and change the (click) button (i had to click this a few times to wake it up)
change this to modifiers> "click left" (don't tick anything else)

This should in theory ork the same as the "click" option but it doesn't, it has fixed the problem selecting text in ST2 for me as well as half fixing indesign.

yay hope it helps...
democrazy

Postby democrazy on Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:17 pm

http://forum.wacom.eu/viewtopic.php?f=2 ... 831#p48831

This link has an update on the problem... possible fix.
democrazy

Postby arno on Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:11 am

Hello,

Sorry for my bad English, I'm french :-)
I finally found where the problem of drag delay with sublime text and wacom tablets !
There is a conflict with the "Pen and Touch" feature in Windows 8 & 8.1 and the Wacom driver.

To solve the problem:
Go to Control Panel> Pen and Touch>

In the "Option Pen" tab:
- Uncheck the 2 boxes "Use the pen button as a click with the right mouse button" & "Use the top of the pen to erase writing ..."
- Select "Hold"> Click "Settings" button> uncheck "Enable Hold mode when clicking with the right button."

In the "Shortcut" tab:
Uncheck "Use shortcuts to perform common actions quickly and easily"

Drag delay solved!

Following the resolution of this problem, I had another problem of latency to close Microsoft software (Words, Excel, Outlook ...). To solve this new problem is very simple:
Go to the properties of the Wacom> Grip pen> corespondance> bottom shelf, uncheck "Use Windows handwritten input."

PS : I use a Windows 8.1 PC & Wacom Intuos 4.

Arno
arno

Postby mjtara on Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:32 am

Hi all,

Just installed my new Intuos tablet today, on a Win 8 machine that is fully updated. I noticed this selection issue in Sublime right away, so it is still an ongoing problem, and the last suggestion for fixing it seems not to be possible in the settings any more, or else I'm not understanding properly.

But ... I did luck into a crappy workaround. If you start your drag basically on the line *above* where you want to select, drag down to the line you *do* want to select, and then begin left or right dragging to make the selection, it will highlight beginning where you want. Hope that will help some of you! And maybe this identification will help either Wacom or Sublime figure out a way to fix it.

Cheers!
mjtara

Return to Technical Support