Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Project still alive?

Project still alive?

Postby Arjan on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:09 pm

Hi,

I wanted to purchase Sublime, but someone warned me that there are no more updates. Is this true?

thanks, arjan.
Arjan

Re: Project still alive?

Postby tack on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:44 pm

It's not officially dead in that there has been no announcement to that effect. But yeah, there haven't been any updates in half a year and the developer has been conspicuously quiet.

I've also been waiting for some sign of life before I invest in ST2 (not in terms of money, $60 is no big deal for me). So far, magic 8-ball says outlook not so good. If I had to guess, I'd say real life has just taken over and ST isn't on the author's radar so much anymore. That's something I can certainly identify with, but for a commercial, closed-source project, it is effectively a kiss of death.

On the other hand, could be the author is working furiously in the background, cooking up some brilliant, mind-blowing stuff and wants to unleash it on the world in a fury of epic awesomeness. Who knows. (I'm dubious.)
tack

Postby Arjan on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:51 pm

Hi tack, exactly what I was thinking.

Maybe someone on this forums knows the developer and can ask for an update?

If dead, what's the chance of this thing getting open sourced?

It would be a shame if the worlds best editor dies a commerical death.
Arjan

Postby handycam on Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:25 pm

ST2, even as it is right now, is an excellent coding tool and IMO certainly worth the purchase price. It has more than paid for itself in the conveniences it offers. Even if it never gets updated, I am happy to have bought it.

There's also an active plugin community. I don't see why an app needs to be update often to be considered worthwhile. I use ST2 every day, almost all day. There are no problems I run into, and (especially thanks to plugins and snippets) no shortage of features that leave me wanting.

YMMV, but I have found it to be a worthwhile purchase.
Mac OS 10.9.3
ST 3 (3059)
handycam

Postby bizoo on Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:32 pm

Slightly off topic:
I just take a look at the Nightly Builds page http://www.sublimetext.com/nightly to check if something new is available and the page was updated...
the last Build 2219 was removed !!! not exactly what I've expected...

I suppose that it was made by mistake cos I really don't see a reason to remove a 4 months old build without replacing it by new build ???
bizoo

Postby tack on Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:33 pm

handycam wrote:ST2, even as it is right now, is an excellent coding tool and IMO certainly worth the purchase price. It has more than paid for itself in the conveniences it offers. Even if it never gets updated, I am happy to have bought it.

That's a fair point, and if I'd invested the time in changing my workflow to incorporate ST2, I would feel like the value was reasonable as it currently is.

My situation is a bit different: I've been on the fence since October, trying to assess the health of the project before I take the plunge. Since then, I've not seen any sign at all that this is a healthy, active project. To all outward appearances, the core product looks dead. Right now the plugin and user community is active, but if ST2 suffers death-by-bitrot, that community will inevitably deteriorate.
tack

Postby Smyge on Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:38 pm

I bought a license this week! Felt absolutely right to do so, even if its announced officially dead tomorrow.
Stop being so pessimistic :mrgreen:
Smyge

Postby tack on Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:43 pm

Smyge wrote:I bought a license this week! Felt absolutely right to do so, even if its announced officially dead tomorrow.
Stop being so pessimistic :mrgreen:

It's not really pessimism. Just look at the graveyard of dead projects out there. It's a bit like marriages: you can be happy that your best friend is getting married while simultaenously being realistic about the proability of his or her future divorce. :)

Anyway, my priorities are clearly different from yours, and that's ok. I've used my current editor for 15 years. It's a huge deal for me to change. If I spent months on retraining myself only to learn the project was officially dead, I would be pissed. $60 is a drop in the bucket compared to that.
tack

Postby senzo on Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:52 pm

senzo

Postby tack on Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:57 pm

Thanks for this, senzo. jps, if you're reading this, a blog post with a some teasers would be very welcomed. :)
tack

Next

Return to General Discussion