Sublime Forum

Project still alive?

ST2, even as it is right now, is an excellent coding tool and IMO certainly worth the purchase price. It has more than paid for itself in the conveniences it offers. Even if it never gets updated, I am happy to have bought it.

There’s also an active plugin community. I don’t see why an app needs to be update often to be considered worthwhile. I use ST2 every day, almost all day. There are no problems I run into, and (especially thanks to plugins and snippets) no shortage of features that leave me wanting.

YMMV, but I have found it to be a worthwhile purchase.

0 Likes

Slightly off topic:
I just take a look at the Nightly Builds page http://www.sublimetext.com/nightly to check if something new is available and the page was updated…
the last Build 2219 was removed !!! not exactly what I’ve expected…

I suppose that it was made by mistake cos I really don’t see a reason to remove a 4 months old build without replacing it by new build ???

0 Likes

That’s a fair point, and if I’d invested the time in changing my workflow to incorporate ST2, I would feel like the value was reasonable as it currently is.

My situation is a bit different: I’ve been on the fence since October, trying to assess the health of the project before I take the plunge. Since then, I’ve not seen any sign at all that this is a healthy, active project. To all outward appearances, the core product looks dead. Right now the plugin and user community is active, but if ST2 suffers death-by-bitrot, that community will inevitably deteriorate.

0 Likes

I bought a license this week! Felt absolutely right to do so, even if its announced officially dead tomorrow.
Stop being so pessimistic :mrgreen:

0 Likes

To stay or to leave of this community
To stay or to leave of this community

[quote=“Smyge”]I bought a license this week! Felt absolutely right to do so, even if its announced officially dead tomorrow.
Stop being so pessimistic :mrgreen:[/quote]

It’s not really pessimism. Just look at the graveyard of dead projects out there. It’s a bit like marriages: you can be happy that your best friend is getting married while simultaenously being realistic about the proability of his or her future divorce. :smile:

Anyway, my priorities are clearly different from yours, and that’s ok. I’ve used my current editor for 15 years. It’s a huge deal for me to change. If I spent months on retraining myself only to learn the project was officially dead, I would be pissed. $60 is a drop in the bucket compared to that.

0 Likes

https://forum.sublimetext.com/t/sublimetext-project-status/7808/6

0 Likes

Thanks for this, senzo. jps, if you’re reading this, a blog post with a some teasers would be very welcomed. :smile:

0 Likes

Smyge, I’m not concerned about the money. I’m concerned, as tack, about spending tons of time and effort setting up Sublime as my primary dev tool if it turns it doesn’t work in the next iteration of OSX or Windows or whatnot.

Current version is great, but that doesn’t matter much if it doesn’t work when python, windows, osx, whatever breaks it.

I need a maintained text editor… hopefull Skinner chimes in on the issue :smile:

0 Likes

If you go to jps profile you can see “Last visited”. I am checked it everyday last week and can see he is visiting forum everyday. Wy he is silent?

0 Likes

Maybe he’s the ultimate troll? Spend years writing awesome editor, stop working on it, watch people go nuts over lack of progress. :mrgreen:

0 Likes

I also don’t understand Jon’s silence. Like many others, I spend most of my day in SublimeText and am perfectly content with the current version.

Nevertheless, it wouldn’t kill Jon to give a very basic update every few weeks, something along the lines of:

• “I’m making good progress on the new über-secret changes to SublimeText. I’ll should be able to give you more information in X days/weeks/months. Until then, please be patient - the new features will blow your mind.”

• …or “I’m taking a bit of a break from actively working on SublimeText but I plan to start again in X days/weeks/months…”

• …or “My dog ate the latest SublimeText code and I had to start over from scratch…”

He could even just re-post the same message every two weeks and people would be happy to know that something is going on. A bit of communication would go a long way in keeping the users and the community happy.

For me Jon’s silence is the concerning part, not the lack of updates to the code.

0 Likes

Same here.

0 Likes

The silence is worrying. I spent the last 6 months adapting my coding style to sublime…

It’s a very good editor, but it can’t stop it’s development. As an example, it is, in my opinion, missing an important feature for python editing: support for the local system’s python.

Almost every single tool/plugin available for code lookup/refactoring/etc uses sublime’s python to run the code in the textfile for analysis.
If you’re using Python 2.7, this is a problem. As an example, in my current project we used a ton of dictionary expressions, which fail badly in 2.6.

So, most Python tools for sublime are, ironically, useless for 2.7-based projects (or, I assume, 3.x)

I prefer sublime rather than one of the various eclipse-based environments due to it’s amazing speed as well as it being simply the best text editor I had the pleasure to use. But after I write the code, the whole editing/debugging/refactoring spiel is a pain…

0 Likes

I am on the fence here as well, if development has stopped, then I will not likely buy the editor. However, I am evaluating it and it is certainly the best I have ever used :smile: I await more blog posts and development progress.

0 Likes

[quote=“iamntz”]

Same here.[/quote]

As in… you’re afraid he’s dead, along with the project? :smiley:

0 Likes

He’s collecting evidence of stalking.

0 Likes

Aaaaanyway, so someone is claiming the following:

Google buys Sublime (not surprising given the fact a lot of googlers use Sublime), and ST3 will be announced as a (free) Google product within months.

This site should stop talking payments, or will have another WindowBuilder outrage…

0 Likes

I heard Jon has multiple accounts on the forum and he’s actually the one making all these posts… to build suspense.

Hell, maybe I’m Jon and this is also just an elaborate form of misdirection before I release SUBLIME TEXT 3 and HALF LIFE 3!

0 Likes

I’ve restored the dev and nightly pages now, thanks for the heads up. They got accidentally reverted to an older version yesterday when I moved the buy page to using SSL.

I have no intention of posting every week just to say ‘still working on it’.

That being said, there will be something fun in the near future.

0 Likes

[quote=“jps”]I’ve restored the dev and nightly pages now, thanks for the heads up. They got accidentally reverted to an older version yesterday when I moved the buy page to using SSL.

I have no intention of posting every week just to say ‘still working on it’.

That being said, there will be something fun in the near future.[/quote]

HE IS ALIVE!!!

0 Likes