Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Sublime Text Extremely Slow when run through Xming server

Sublime Text Extremely Slow when run through Xming server

Postby ahochan on Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:55 am

Hi,

I have an Ubuntu box (a modern fast quad-core machine) that I access from my Windows machine using Xming server.

I tried running Sublime Text, and everything to do with drawing is painfully slow. It takes 1.5-2 seconds to draw the screen,
there is massive lag when scrolling, and writing text is all but unusable, lagging behind several words.

Are there any settings I can tweak to make it usable, or is this kind of configuration not supported?
ahochan

Re: Sublime Text Extremely Slow when run through Xming server

Postby iansane on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:37 pm

I am having the same issue lately. I'm running it on Windows 7. When I open task manager and look at processes it doesn't appear that sublime is using a lot but when I look at performance the cpu is spiking at 100% just trying to type or open a small php script. Actually when I first open it, working fast like it used to all the time but if I leave it open for a while it will start crawling just like you describe.

The problem started about a week ago when I got some error from the package manager and unfortunately I don't remember what it said because at the time I thought it was just a glitch. I don't get the error any more but already dl's the latest version and installed to see if it helped but the problem is still going on.
iansane

Re: Sublime Text Extremely Slow when run through Xming server

Postby tcaddy on Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:36 pm

I think your problem is from using XMing. X11 is a very inefficient protocol for network transport.

I would try to setup an X11-to-VNC server on your Ubuntu box (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VNC/Servers#x11vnc) and use VNC to connnect from Windows to Ubuntu. You should notice a huge performance difference if you do this. Also, VNC lets you adjust the number of colors and the type of compression used to keep bandwidth low.
tcaddy

Return to Technical Support