Sublime Forum

ST3: Vintage mode?

I’m a Vim guy looking to come to ST as soon as ST3 is released.

I’m trying out the beta now but it appears that Vintage Mode is not working for the beta.

Wanted to drum up a conversation around this and see what the plans are for porting Vintage Mode to ST3. It looks like the Vintage mode on GitHub hasn’t been updated in 6 months: github.com/sublimehq/Vintage

Will ST3 support Vintage Mode in the near future? (or vice-versa)?

0 Likes

I had to:

cd "~/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Packages/" mkdir Vintage cd Vintage unzip /Applications/Sublime\ Text.app/Contents/MacOS/Packages/Vintage.sublime-package

And then it would work. Except that pressing “o” doesn’t insert a new line which is driving me nuts… :wink:

0 Likes

I’m having the same issue. Nothing I try is enabling Vintage mode. I’ve tried:

1. quarnstar’s suggestion above.
  2. Adding ignore_packages to my user config.
  3. I’m not able to edit the default Preferences. So, I unzipped Default.sublime-package, edited Preferences.sublime-settings, re-zipped the package, removed Ingnored Packages.cache.
  4. Adding Vintageous/Vintage to both Packages and Installed Packages under $HOME/.config/sublime-text-3.
  5. Adding Vintage to the ignored_packages, and then removing it.

Any other ideas?
I’m running the linux x64 tarball on Fedora 18.
Thanks!

0 Likes

To answer my own question:

The problem was the plugin_host wasn’t starting because Fedora uses libffi.so.5, not libffi.so.6. I created a symlink from libffi.so.5 to libffi.so.6 and now my plugins are loading.

0 Likes

Does anyone know if we are to expect this to eventually ship with ST3?

0 Likes

There’s a new rewrite of Vintage called ‘Vintageous’ in the works. More info here:

0 Likes

[quote=“voxmea”]To answer my own question:

The problem was the plugin_host wasn’t starting because Fedora uses libffi.so.5, not libffi.so.6. I created a symlink from libffi.so.5 to libffi.so.6 and now my plugins are loading.[/quote]

This worked for me to enable Vintage mode on Fedora 17.

0 Likes

[quote=“quarnster”]I had to:

cd "~/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Packages/" mkdir Vintage cd Vintage unzip /Applications/Sublime\ Text.app/Contents/MacOS/Packages/Vintage.sublime-package

And then it would work. Except that pressing “o” doesn’t insert a new line which is driving me nuts… :wink:[/quote]

Just wanted to say that I’m running beta build 3021, had the exact same issue (non-functional Vintage), and the above worked perfectly. Many thanks for the tip quarnster.

(and ‘o’ seems to work, thankfully :wink: )

0 Likes

It seems that Sublime Text 3 contains the following default in the User settings:

[code]{
“ignored_packages”:

"Vintage"
]

}[/code]

In Sublime Text 2 it was just “{}”. If you delete the entire “ignore_packages” key, it will fall back to the default file, which also has this entry:

// List any packages to ignore here. When removing entries from this list, // a restart may be required if the package contains plugins. "ignored_packages": "Vintage"]

So instead you have to do this:

{ "ignored_packages": ] }

And then it works.

0 Likes

[quote=“nlh”]

[quote=“quarnster”]I had to:

And then it would work. Except that pressing “o” doesn’t insert a new line which is driving me nuts… :wink:[/quote]

Just wanted to say that I’m running beta build 3021, had the exact same issue (non-functional Vintage), and the above worked perfectly. Many thanks for the tip quarnster.

(and ‘o’ seems to work, thankfully :wink: )[/quote]

I did the same and it worked for me. What let me thinking… Did you guys migrated your packages from a Sublime Text 2 install to the new one too? I did it and probably it was the cause.

0 Likes

There’s also Vintageous, which is ST3 only and has many more features than Vintage:

github.com/guillermooo/Vintageous

0 Likes