Sublime Forum

Sublime Text 3 Beta

How to make a smooth jump? After copying the Library (complete) and change any reference from /Applications/Sublime Text 2.app to /Applications/Sublime Text.app most of my keyboard shortcuts do not work nor latex buildā€¦ etc.

0 Likes

I meant the life cycle of a full featured release, which is meant to be the final version, the major release.
Since a code editor is something all of us uses all the time Iā€™m not interested in using beta, unstable versions of this kind of software. As I noted I bought V2 after it was in beta for a long time. So how long it took to get to a stable release is not something that users appreciate when they give their money for something.

0 Likes

I donā€™t understand that. If you donā€™t want a unstable version you can use the stable st2 you paid for. Itā€™s not going away and Iā€™m sure it will get bug fixes when needed.

Iā€™ve not read anything about an end of life of st2ā€¦ was there something in the announcement I overread ? I think there are more people still using python 2 and nobody forces anyone on using python 3 ā€¦ isnā€™t it the same with st2 and st3 ?

0 Likes

One thing I have noticed: I canā€™t ā€œHideā€ the sidebar until I show something in it. The menu item is disabled.

0 Likes

In fact, this folder is already in the project.
Once the file isnā€™t open anymore, it canā€™t find the symbol. But if I open the file, it can find the symbol.

0 Likes

Thanx jps, i just installed ST3 and I see: the upsetting line break problem has been solved, this is essential to me as I use ST for prose writing!!! :smile:

Nice sanx a lot to John

Greetz

0 Likes

[quote=ā€œlyubenblagoevā€]I meant the life cycle of a full featured release, which is meant to be the final version, the major release.
Since a code editor is something all of us uses all the time Iā€™m not interested in using beta, unstable versions of this kind of software. As I noted I bought V2 after it was in beta for a long time. So how long it took to get to a stable release is not something that users appreciate when they give their money for something.[/quote]

I somewhat agree with your feeling as it looks like thereā€™s no more support for ST2.
But OTOH, as a long times user of ST2 back to early beta, I can say that every beta builds of ST2 was more stable than most final builds of most other software.
Maybe itā€™s a little early now to jump in the ST3 wagon but wait a few weeks and Iā€™m pretty sure the ST3 builds will be perfectly usable as your main editor (if we do not take into account missing plugins).

0 Likes

[quote=ā€œdafireā€]

I donā€™t understand that. If you donā€™t want a unstable version you can use the stable st2 you paid for. Itā€™s not going away and Iā€™m sure it will get bug fixes when needed.

Iā€™ve not read anything about an end of life of st2ā€¦ was there something in the announcement I overread ? I think there are more people still using python 2 and nobody forces anyone on using python 3 ā€¦ isnā€™t it the same with st2 and st3 ?[/quote]

There was no mention of anything to do with ST2ā€™s life cycle and thatā€™s kind of the point - we donā€™t know that, as users who paid during during the beta period, if weā€™re getting any new 2.x features - for example:

That to me reads more like ā€˜I found a bunch of bugs and Iā€™ve fixed the plugin system to it doesnā€™t crash as muchā€™.

0 Likes

any news on this?

Edited: for posterity

0 Likes

Great news. thanks a lot. i just bought a license in december 2012 and if st3 will be released, and it matches with my workflow that i have with st2, iā€™ll buy a license of st3. if here will be a upgrade license for less money, it will be nice. if not, iā€™ll also get it. for me st2 already paid off in a really short time. and iā€™ll suggest my boss to order company licenses.

tonight iā€™ll give st3 beta a try :smile:

0 Likes

[quote=ā€œtanepiperā€]

There was no mention of anything to do with ST2ā€™s life cycle and thatā€™s kind of the point - we donā€™t know that, as users who paid during during the beta period, if weā€™re getting any new 2.x features - for example:

That to me reads more like ā€˜I found a bunch of bugs and Iā€™ve fixed the plugin system to it doesnā€™t crash as muchā€™.[/quote]

Do you have a problem with bugs and crashes on st2 ?

Obviously there are major changes to the plugin system and I donā€™t think that you would want that in st2. Switching vom python 2 to python 3 will probably break most existing addons so it simply wonā€™t make sense to do this for st2.

0 Likes

When is Sublime Text 4 likely to be released, requiring another payment?

Serious question, because the fact Iā€™m so surprised by 2 being obsoleted so soon implies Iā€™ve misunderstood how things work here.

0 Likes

Feels like this site needs an account area that can properly track purchases etc. I only say this as the mention of people who very recently bought get a discount etc (I bought my copy yesterday, mind you Iā€™m only paying $5 on top so thatā€™s cool), but it feels a bit disjointed not being able to look up my current license status, upgrade options etc, and I imagine doing so would take some workload off of the support team (I can only imagine youā€™d have to contact via support to get the upgrade discount, rather than have your purchase date registered in a DB, check that against the conditions of the discount and apply it via checkout).

Just a mention. With the mention of issues ill just stick to ST2 for now; I have a lot of master yet.

0 Likes

[quote=ā€œjpsā€]
Indexing is fully asynchronous, and does no work in the main thread. I do most of my testing using the chromium project (>100k files), and observe no slowdowns.[/quote]

Is there any way to debug issue that cause editor to lag even when typing the text? I want to find solution for this because itā€™s really annoying.
This happening only on this huge project - all others smaller projects works great.

0 Likes

I have some suggestions for default Preferences.sublime-settings.

Line 267

// OS X 10.7 only: Set to true to disable Lion style full screen support.

Now that Sublime Text 3 only supports OS X 10.7 and later, this should be like this.

// OS X only: Set to true to disable Lion style full screen support.

Line 271 to 275

// OS X only. Valid values are true, false, and "auto". Auto will enable
    // the setting when running on a screen 2880 pixels or wider (i.e., a
    // Retina display). When this setting is enabled, OpenGL is used to
    // accelerate drawing. Sublime Text must be restarted for changes to take
    // effect.

The threshold of screen width should be 2560, not 2880, because the screen resolution of MacBook Pro 13-inch Retina is 2560 by 1600.

0 Likes

>>> import urllib.request Traceback (most recent call last): File "<string>", line 1, in <module> File "X/urllib/request.py", line 88, in <module> File "X/http/client.py", line 69, in <module> File "X/email/parser.py", line 12, in <module> File "X/email/feedparser.py", line 27, in <module> File "X/email/message.py", line 16, in <module> ImportError: cannot import name utils
Win7 32bit

0 Likes

:astonished:

0 Likes

Thanks. That worked great. Awesome job with Sublime Text 3.

0 Likes

startup, version: 3006 windows x64 channel: stable
BUG1:
If I have my own tmLanguage that replace an existing one:

SQL\SQL.tmLanguage OracleSQL\PL_SQL (Oracle).tmLanguage
And both register .sql extension, in ST2 when opening a .sql file the PL_SQL (Oracle).tmLanguage was used, in ST3 itā€™s the SQL.tmLanguage.

Creating a file User\PL_SQL (Oracle).sublime-settings containing:

[code]{
ā€œextensionsā€:

"sql"
]

}[/code]
Doesnā€™t work either.

BUG2:
Macros from Default folder appears in Macros sub menu but couldnā€™t be loaded.

0 Likes

Can you give us more details? I donā€™t understand why the reduced upgrade price depends on the ā€œactual date of the 3.0 releaseā€ and tbh I think this clause is kind of useless. Why? According to your blog ā€œAll licenses purchased at this new price are valid for Sublime Text 3ā€ - or to put it in other words - all new purchases (from now on) include a ST2 AND ST3 license. Itā€™s not possible to buy a license for $59 from now on and so the upgrade discount just affects users who bought the license for $59 in the past and I think you should make a clear statement NOW who qualifies for a discount - this makes the pricing transparent for everyone. Eg I bought the license on the 31.08.2012 and I just used the software for 5 months. Paying the full upgrade price of 30$ for 5 months usage is steep.

0 Likes