Re: Sublime Text 3 Beta

Postby bizoo on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:06 pm

startup, version: 3006 windows x64 channel: stable
BUG1:
If I have my own tmLanguage that replace an existing one:
Code: Select all
SQL\SQL.tmLanguage
OracleSQL\PL_SQL (Oracle).tmLanguage

And both register .sql extension, in ST2 when opening a .sql file the PL_SQL (Oracle).tmLanguage was used, in ST3 it's the SQL.tmLanguage.

Creating a file User\PL_SQL (Oracle).sublime-settings containing:
{
   "extensions":
   [
      "sql"
   ]
}

Doesn't work either.

BUG2:
Macros from Default folder appears in Macros sub menu but couldn't be loaded.
bizoo

Postby Dude on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:14 pm

$15 for users who have purchased recently. The cut off date for the reduced upgrade price will be based on the actual date of the 3.0 release.

Can you give us more details? I don't understand why the reduced upgrade price depends on the "actual date of the 3.0 release" and tbh I think this clause is kind of useless. Why? According to your blog "All licenses purchased at this new price are valid for Sublime Text 3" - or to put it in other words - all new purchases (from now on) include a ST2 AND ST3 license. It's not possible to buy a license for $59 from now on and so the upgrade discount just affects users who bought the license for $59 in the past and I think you should make a clear statement NOW who qualifies for a discount - this makes the pricing transparent for everyone. Eg I bought the license on the 31.08.2012 and I just used the software for 5 months. Paying the full upgrade price of 30$ for 5 months usage is steep.
Last edited by Dude on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dude

Postby TheFelikZ on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:41 pm

Dude wrote:
$15 for users who have purchased recently. The cut off date for the reduced upgrade price will be based on the actual date of the 3.0 release.

Can you give us more details? I don't understand why the reduced upgrade price depends on the "actual date of the 3.0 release" and tbh I think this clause is senseless. Why? According to your blog "All licenses purchased at this new price are valid for Sublime Text 3" - or to put it in other words - all new purchases (from now on) include a ST2 AND ST3 license. It's not possible to buy a license for $59 from now on and so the upgrade discount just affects users who bought the license for $59 in the past and I think you should make a clear statement NOW who qualifies for a discount - this makes the pricing transparent for everyone. Eg I bought the license on the 31.08.2012 and I just used the software for 5 months. Paying the full upgrade price of 30$ for 5 months usage is steep...

I think there must some valid date range that will be announced later.
TheFelikZ

Postby Dude on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:57 pm

Yes, but actually the date range should not change because all "new" users won't be affected by the upgrade offer anymore. It makes no sense to announce the date range later.
Dude

Postby bizoo on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:08 pm

BUG3 ?
>>> view.sel()[-1]
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
  File "C:\Program Files\Sublime Text 3\sublime.py", line 392, in __getitem__
    raise IndexError()
IndexError

could be replaced by:
view.sel()[len(view.sel())-1]

but it's not as elegant as before.
bizoo

Postby kramed on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:14 pm

jps wrote:
lyubenblagoev wrote:JSP, I'm a bit disappointed for the short life-cycle of Sublime Text 2.

The first version of Sublime Text 2 was available to registered users on September 17, 2010, with the most recent build being on September 18, 2012. 2 years of continuous updates is a massive amount. In reality, counting should start from January 18, 2008, as everyone who purchased then received updates until September 2012, four and a half years later.

You are the only one with the numbers but I would suspect the vast majority of your registered users came within the last year and a half. Extended updates for original users is one thing but it seems like you are gouging newer users. $30 upgrade for a $59 piece of software purchased within the last year is hard to swallow. Perhaps you should clarify the upgrade pricing with dates ranges for your users.
kramed

Postby bizoo on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:33 pm

BUG:
Selection.add ignore the Region.xpos property, so setting a value for xpos doesn't work anymore:
class Selection(object):
    def add(self, x):
        if isinstance(x, Region):
            sublime_api.view_selection_add_region(self.view_id, x.a, x.b)
        else:
            sublime_api.view_selection_add_point(self.view_id, x)
bizoo

Postby gregor.hoch on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:59 pm

kramed and the other complainers, your logic is flawed. Here are two options: a) count the beta as a new version. If you think like that, ST2 has been around for over two years so it has a pretty long product cycle. b) Do not count betas as a new version. In that case ST3 is just a beta and you can happily use ST2.

So your argument only makes sense if you do not count the ST2 beta but you count the ST3 beta. That doesn't make any sense. The developer has done awesome work and ST3 has so many important under the hood chances, which required a lot of work and will significant enhance the user experience. Maybe they are not all visible right away but I am sure more features are going to follow.
gregor.hoch

Postby xeno.by on Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:00 pm

@jps
1) Is it possible to make go to symbol within project pop up previews?
2) Is go to definition supposed to learn from previous user selections?
3) Would it be possible to hook into go to definition to filter out irrelevant suggestions?
4) How do I ignore certain folders in the sidebar from being indexed?
xeno.by

Postby bizoo on Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:05 pm

kramed wrote:
jps wrote:
lyubenblagoev wrote:JSP, I'm a bit disappointed for the short life-cycle of Sublime Text 2.

The first version of Sublime Text 2 was available to registered users on September 17, 2010, with the most recent build being on September 18, 2012. 2 years of continuous updates is a massive amount. In reality, counting should start from January 18, 2008, as everyone who purchased then received updates until September 2012, four and a half years later.

You are the only one with the numbers but I would suspect the vast majority of your registered users came within the last year and a half. Extended updates for original users is one thing but it seems like you are gouging newer users. $30 upgrade for a $59 piece of software purchased within the last year is hard to swallow. Perhaps you should clarify the upgrade pricing with dates ranges for your users.

IMHO, the main mistake of jps was to not publish a stable build way before...
If it had published a stable build 2.0 back in 2011, and add a few minor build after, no one would complain today.
I bought my license early 2011, 2 years ago, and use ST2 exclusively since, so 30$ now for all the works put in ST look like a bargain for me.

Currently ST3 is in BETA stage with no stable build release date, which could be, if jps follow the same path as ST2, in a very long time.
bizoo

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion