Sublime Forum

Sublime Text 3 Beta

@Anomareh, wow, chill out. Upgrading to python 3 is the only way to move forward. The fact that it’s not backwards compatible is old news. Get over it.

umm, how about… no. I don’t really get the point you’re trying to make.

To clear up the money issues that some people (cough Anomareh) don’t seem to understand:
(1.)Your ST2 license works for ST3 while it’s in beta.
(2.)Considering that ST2 was in beta for about a year, I think you’ll be okay. (Not to mention that ST2 was in alpha for a lonnnnng time)
(3.)An extra $15-30 really isn’t asking much.

Also, ST3 is fast as fuck. You should get it.

0 Likes

Anomareh, this is a beta!! The under the hood changes are substantial and will lead to major benefits in the future. I am sure that more features will be added to ST3 before it is finalized. My guess is that the beta introduces the major under the hood changes, which are the foundation for future features that will make us very happy! I don’t see any money grabbing - I rather think that the developer is extremely generous with an unlimited trial period. I haven’t purchased a license myself but will do so this week! Best editor, awesome developer who deserves our support!

0 Likes

Nevertheless I still think the Jon should make a clear statement about the upgrade price - 15$ vs 30$.

0 Likes

jps I think that u could create different repos for the default packages like php, c, etc…
In this way user could fork and improve this package like agibsonsw did.
u can merge this improvement and pull them from repos just before building a new version…in this way u’ll have an always up to date definition, completions, etc for these core packages insted to have us to delete the old and non actual ones XD

just a suggestion XD

0 Likes

I’m pretty sure the only reason you can give me about how swapping to Python 3 is moving forward is that 3 is a higher number than 2. The situation behind Python 2/3 is not a simple one. The fact of the matter is the change to Python 3 is going to decimate the plugin community. Plain and simple. I’ve been using ST since long before ST2 and it took quite some time for the plugin community to get some steam behind it. I work with Python on a daily basis and this change is going to benefit no one. The majority of Python projects are still using Python 2 for a reason: the support for 3 just isn’t there yet. It’s a process that takes time and it can’t be forced.

The main issue behind swapping to Python 3 isn’t even really a matter of Python 2 vs 3. Due to ST3 being a paid upgrade the user base between ST2 and ST3 is going to be split. This puts every single plugin developer beteween a rock and a hard place because of how big of a nightmare it is to make anything but the simplest of code compatible with Python 2 and 3.

[quote=“C0D312”]umm, how about… no. I don’t really get the point you’re trying to make.

To clear up the money issues that some people (cough Anomareh) don’t seem to understand:
(1.)Your ST2 license works for ST3 while it’s in beta.
(2.)Considering that ST2 was in beta for about a year, I think you’ll be okay. (Not to mention that ST2 was in alpha for a lonnnnng time)
(3.)An extra $15-30 really isn’t asking much.

Also, ST3 is fast as fuck. You should get it.[/quote]

Besides symbol indexing none of the new features warrant a major version increase. There have been many updates to ST2 that read like half of the new features. It’s not a matter of the money. It’s a matter of calling ST2.1 ST3 to justify raising the cost of licenses. To everyone saying: “It’s just a beta!” read the original announcement for the ST2 public alpha and compare it to the ST3 announcement.

sublimetext.com/blog/article … blic-alpha
sublimetext.com/blog/article … ext-3-beta

Not to mention 99% of the time the word beta isn’t even used in a proper manner. Now-a-days it’s a just word people slap on to whatever they’re selling to justify selling a product before it’s finished and to have an excuse at the ready for any bugs that arise. “Oh it burned down your house you say? Well it’s in beta!” He is selling ST3. You can’t buy ST2. He can call it whatever he wants, it doesn’t change the fact of the matter.

Also the latest stable release of ST2 blows the ST2 public alpha out of the water speed wise. Your point?

0 Likes

Great progress JPS. Thanks for the v3 updates. Looking forward to what else is in store.

0 Likes

Hopefully Jon will be able/willing to implement a thing for plugin authors and just allow them to use either Python 2.x or 3.x, depending of their preferences.

Probably wbond/faceless/other doesn’t have time/mood to migrate all of their awesome plugins…

Without this, I think the result will be a splitted user base (and one side will be less happy than the other).

0 Likes

@Anomareh

You really like to contradict yourself, don’tcha?

First you argue that Python 3 is too big a change since it will warrant people rewriting plugins (which will take some time but may prominent plugin authors have already given their support and mentioned that they are working on porting over to Python 3). Then you argue that there is not enough changes (in terms of features) but I would argue that the switch to Python 3 is pretty major.

Well, yeah. 3 > 2 but more importantly, 2 has no where to go. Sure, their might still be some bug patches and stuff in development but other than that: it’s dead.

Just like no one is forcing you to use ST3. Think of it like the same situation between Python 2 and 3. No one is forcing you to upgrade, just don’t expect any new features.

I suspect most plugin developers will port their projects to ST3 and leave the ST2 versions alone. Also, I suspect that ST3 will eventually have a free trial (just a guess) after more plugins are ported and features are added.

If he can call it whatever he wants, why do you care if he calls it ST3 instead of ST2.1? Besides, you don’t have to pay while it’s in beta (and it’s probably going to be in beta for a while considering past experience). So why not argue about money when the time comes instead of ranting about the future?

Umm…? ST3 > ST2(lastest) > ST2(Alpha). That’s the only point I was making. And using your logic, ST3 will only get faster… which doesn’t seem like a problem to me.

Anyway, I getta get some lunch before I head to class. Talk to you later <3

0 Likes

[quote=“bizoo”]

Didn’t have time to look into that yet, but would it be possible to show a preview of the currently selected option in the quick panel?
Sorry, don’t understand.
I think it’s already work the way you want:
F12 on a method open a quick_panel with all the occurrence of this name. And when navigating among the results you see a preview of the file in the editor.[/quote]

Cmd+Shift+R doesn’t display previews.

0 Likes

I am committed to porting all of my stuff to ST3. Moving to Python 3 and bundling a consistent version of Python for each OS is a big step forward. There were so many things I have had to monkey patch for urllib2, ftp, etc. It is my opinion the only clear way to do with was make a new major version.

It would be a total nightmare to have a ST2 release update from Python 2 to Python 3. Everything would break for everyone. The idea of letting a user choose Python 2 or 3 would likely be a giant support headache (if even practically possible) that would prevent Jon from continuing to evolve the editor that we all find so useful. Not only that, but it would make it that much more confusing for developers to write plugins.

0 Likes

I plan on updating all of my plugins eventually.

I will more than likely release the new BracketHighlighter2 for ST3 and also update HexViewer for ST3 as my priorities.

I have a number of other random plugins that will eventually get updated as I have time.

When all of this will start…I don’t know. I have had a number of things that have been keeping me from my development recently that I am hoping will die down soon.

0 Likes

With view.begin_edit removed, how do I get an edit reference from arbitrary code?

I guess I could run a TextCommand and modify the buffer in there but that feels kinda weird and won’t be trivial to patch in.

0 Likes

Cmd+Shift+R doesn’t display previews, but it looks like it can be taught to do so, analogously to F12. Here’s a relevant excerpt from the implementation of F12:

def highlight_entry(self, locations, idx):
        fname, display_fname, rowcol = locations[idx]
        row, col = rowcol

self.window.open_file(fname + ":" + str(row) + ":" + str(col),
            sublime.TRANSIENT | sublime.ENCODED_POSITION)

self.window.show_quick_panel(
        [self.format_location(l) for l in locations],
        lambda x: self.select_entry(locations, x, v, orig_sel),
        on_highlight = lambda x: self.highlight_entry(locations, x))
0 Likes

As far as I know cmd+shift+R doesn’t show previews because you can have multiple definitions of a symbol. If you press enter on a symbol, it gives you a list of their definitions and has previews there.

0 Likes

What would be great is if we could have access to the symbols index for plugins.

0 Likes

Something like window.lookup_symbol_in_index("Symbol")

:smile:

0 Likes

[quote=“skuroda”]

Something like window.lookup_symbol_in_index("Symbol")

:smile:[/quote]

Hahah Yup I see it now in the Default package symbol.py.

0 Likes

[quote=“C0D312”]@Anomareh

You really like to contradict yourself, don’tcha?

First you argue that Python 3 is too big a change since it will warrant people rewriting plugins (which will take some time but may prominent plugin authors have already given their support and mentioned that they are working on porting over to Python 3). Then you argue that there is not enough changes (in terms of features) but I would argue that the switch to Python 3 is pretty major.[/quote]

What? Talk about taking something completely out of context just to make an argument. Never did I say there were not enough changes in Python 3 to consider upgrading. I said that the differences between Python 2 and 3 aren’t the main reasons the upgrade is a problem.

Swapping to Python 3 is not moving forward. It’s running across the canyon before the bridge is built.

Except everyone is as ST2 is EOL and can’t even be bought anymore (and no, having the ability to buy ST3 and get a copy of ST2 for free is not having the ability to buy ST2)? ST1 didn’t see a single update (bug fix or otherwise) once the ST2 public alpha became available. I don’t see the situation between ST2 and ST3 being any different. Looking beyond how insane it is to compare a programming language to a text editor, Python 2 is still being maintained and it’s still available.

So you can see into the future? What reasons do plugin developers have to update their plugins for ST3? With a split userbase they’ll just be choosing one userbase over another. Largely because, as I stated, there aren’t enough improvements in ST3 to justify upgrading. Also, I like how you believe ST3 is going to see a bunch of new features added at some point. The majority of the new features of ST2 were available in the public alpha. Only a couple were added afterwards. I don’t see any reason for ST3 to be any different.

Besides you completely missing the point I was making, you do realize ST3 is the only thing available for purchase right now right?

Again, you somehow completely managed to miss the point I was making. Speed isn’t a viable reason in the case of ST to increase the major version. As he stated himself, speed has always been a concern and has always seen improvements. ST being faster is not something new to ST. ST’s speed has been substantially improved several times throughout the development of ST2.

0 Likes

@Anomareh well, this conversation was fun at first but now I see you’re not even going to read what I’m saying so there’s no point…(plus I’d prefer if we stopped mucking up this thread for people with legitimate stuff to post)

I gotta go to bed anyway. I’ve got computer science class in the morning and we’re learning about methods! yay!

0 Likes

Funny. First off, you started the discussion by responding to my thoughts on the ST3 beta. Second, you took nearly every single thing I said out of context. Third, I even obliged and directly responded to everything you’ve said. Also, I don’t see how this is off-topic in a thread designated for discussion about the ST3 beta.

0 Likes