Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Sublime Text 3 Beta

Re: Sublime Text 3 Beta

Postby Dude on Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:30 pm

Nevertheless I still think the Jon should make a clear statement about the upgrade price - 15$ vs 30$.
Dude
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:08 am

Re: Sublime Text 3 Beta

Postby Fed03 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:35 pm

jps I think that u could create different repos for the default packages like php, c, etc...
In this way user could fork and improve this package like agibsonsw did.
u can merge this improvement and pull them from repos just before building a new version...in this way u'll have an always up to date definition, completions, etc for these core packages insted to have us to delete the old and non actual ones XD

just a suggestion XD
Fed03
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:38 pm

Re: Sublime Text 3 Beta

Postby Anomareh on Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:47 pm

C0D312 wrote:@Anomareh, wow, chill out. Upgrading to python 3 is the only way to move forward. The fact that it's not backwards compatible is old news. Get over it.

I'm pretty sure the only reason you can give me about how swapping to Python 3 is moving forward is that 3 is a higher number than 2. The situation behind Python 2/3 is not a simple one. The fact of the matter is the change to Python 3 is going to decimate the plugin community. Plain and simple. I've been using ST since long before ST2 and it took quite some time for the plugin community to get some steam behind it. I work with Python on a daily basis and this change is going to benefit no one. The majority of Python projects are still using Python 2 for a reason: the support for 3 just isn't there yet. It's a process that takes time and it can't be forced.

The main issue behind swapping to Python 3 isn't even really a matter of Python 2 vs 3. Due to ST3 being a paid upgrade the user base between ST2 and ST3 is going to be split. This puts every single plugin developer beteween a rock and a hard place because of how big of a nightmare it is to make anything but the simplest of code compatible with Python 2 and 3.

C0D312 wrote:umm, how about... no. I don't really get the point you're trying to make.

To clear up the money issues that some people (*cough* Anomareh) don't seem to understand:
(1.)Your ST2 license works for ST3 while it's in beta.
(2.)Considering that ST2 was in beta for about a year, I think you'll be okay. (Not to mention that ST2 was in alpha for a lonnnnng time)
(3.)An extra $15-30 really isn't asking much.

Also, ST3 is fast as fuck. You should get it.

Besides symbol indexing none of the new features warrant a major version increase. There have been many updates to ST2 that read like half of the new features. It's not a matter of the money. It's a matter of calling ST2.1 ST3 to justify raising the cost of licenses. To everyone saying: "It's just a beta!" read the original announcement for the ST2 public alpha and compare it to the ST3 announcement.

http://www.sublimetext.com/blog/article ... blic-alpha
http://www.sublimetext.com/blog/article ... ext-3-beta

Not to mention 99% of the time the word beta isn't even used in a proper manner. Now-a-days it's a just word people slap on to whatever they're selling to justify selling a product before it's finished and to have an excuse at the ready for any bugs that arise. "Oh it burned down your house you say? Well it's in beta!" He is selling ST3. You can't buy ST2. He can call it whatever he wants, it doesn't change the fact of the matter.

Also the latest stable release of ST2 blows the ST2 public alpha out of the water speed wise. Your point?
Last edited by Anomareh on Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Anomareh
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: Sublime Text 3 Beta

Postby reddshack on Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:01 pm

Great progress JPS. Thanks for the v3 updates. Looking forward to what else is in store.
reddshack
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:56 am

Re: Sublime Text 3 Beta

Postby iamntz on Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:13 pm

Hopefully Jon will be able/willing to implement a thing for plugin authors and just allow them to use either Python 2.x or 3.x, depending of their preferences.

Probably wbond/faceless/other doesn't have time/mood to migrate all of their awesome plugins...

Without this, I think the result will be a splitted user base (and one side will be less happy than the other).
iamntz
 
Posts: 816
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:52 am
Location: Romania

Re: Sublime Text 3 Beta

Postby C0D312 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:52 pm

@Anomareh

You really like to contradict yourself, don'tcha?

First you argue that Python 3 is too big a change since it will warrant people rewriting plugins (which will take some time but may prominent plugin authors have already given their support and mentioned that they are working on porting over to Python 3). Then you argue that there is not enough changes (in terms of features) but I would argue that the switch to Python 3 is pretty major.

I'm pretty sure the only reason you can give me about how swapping to Python 3 is moving forward is that 3 is a higher number than 2

Well, yeah. 3 > 2 but more importantly, 2 has no where to go. Sure, their might still be some bug patches and stuff in development but other than that: it's dead.

the support for 3 just isn't there yet. It's a process that takes time and it can't be forced.

Just like no one is forcing you to use ST3. Think of it like the same situation between Python 2 and 3. No one is forcing you to upgrade, just don't expect any new features.

Due to ST3 being a paid upgrade the user base between ST2 and ST3 is going to be split.

I suspect most plugin developers will port their projects to ST3 and leave the ST2 versions alone. Also, I suspect that ST3 will eventually have a free trial (just a guess) after more plugins are ported and features are added.

He can call it whatever he wants, it doesn't change the fact of the matter.

If he can call it whatever he wants, why do you care if he calls it ST3 instead of ST2.1? Besides, you don't have to pay while it's in beta (and it's probably going to be in beta for a while considering past experience). So why not argue about money when the time comes instead of ranting about the future?

Also the latest stable release of ST2 blows the ST2 public alpha out of the water speed wise. Your point?

Umm...? ST3 > ST2(lastest) > ST2(Alpha). That's the only point I was making. And using your logic, ST3 will only get faster... which doesn't seem like a problem to me.

Anyway, I getta get some lunch before I head to class. Talk to you later <3
C0D312
 
Posts: 1063
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:23 am

Re: Sublime Text 3 Beta

Postby xeno.by on Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:10 pm

bizoo wrote:
xeno.by wrote:
bizoo wrote:The GotoDefinition command is defined in a file symbol.py in the Default.sublime-package (which is a zip file) in your installation folder (C:\Program Files\Sublime Text 3\Packages for Windows).
So I suppose you can copy and paste the content of the file in a new file of your User folder, rename the class and adapt it to your need.

Didn't have time to look into that yet, but would it be possible to show a preview of the currently selected option in the quick panel?

Sorry, don't understand.
I think it's already work the way you want:
F12 on a method open a quick_panel with all the occurrence of this name. And when navigating among the results you see a preview of the file in the editor.

Cmd+Shift+R doesn't display previews.
xeno.by
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:03 am
Location: Lausanne, Switzerland

Re: Sublime Text 3 Beta

Postby wbond on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:05 pm

I am committed to porting all of my stuff to ST3. Moving to Python 3 and bundling a consistent version of Python for each OS is a big step forward. There were so many things I have had to monkey patch for urllib2, ftp, etc. It is my opinion the only clear way to do with was make a new major version.

It would be a total nightmare to have a ST2 release update from Python 2 to Python 3. Everything would break for everyone. The idea of letting a user choose Python 2 or 3 would likely be a giant support headache (if even practically possible) that would prevent Jon from continuing to evolve the editor that we all find so useful. Not only that, but it would make it that much more confusing for developers to write plugins.
wbond
 
Posts: 493
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:33 am

Re: Sublime Text 3 Beta

Postby facelessuser on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:27 pm

I plan on updating all of my plugins eventually.

I will more than likely release the new BracketHighlighter2 for ST3 and also update HexViewer for ST3 as my priorities.

I have a number of other random plugins that will eventually get updated as I have time.

When all of this will start...I don't know. I have had a number of things that have been keeping me from my development recently that I am hoping will die down soon.
facelessuser
 
Posts: 1448
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:38 pm

Re: Sublime Text 3 Beta

Postby lunixbochs on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:30 pm

With view.begin_edit removed, how do I get an edit reference from arbitrary code?

I guess I could run a TextCommand and modify the buffer in there but that feels kinda weird and won't be trivial to patch in.
lunixbochs
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:18 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 13 guests