Sublime Forum

Sublime Text 3 Beta

Subtle isn’t really the word you want to see describing a new major release when a price increase comes attached to it :confused:

“Here’s this thing that for the majority of end-users is the same as the last thing except this thing is more expensive and it’s going to break nearly everything for a while. Oh, and it’s faster. Also, you can’t buy that last thing anymore and it’s no longer supported.”

0 Likes

What’s the outcome you want here?

0 Likes

[quote]Upgrade Policy
A license is valid for Sublime Text 3, and includes all point updates, as well as access to prior versions (e.g., Sublime Text 2). Future major versions, such as Sublime Text 4, will be a paid upgrade.[/quote]

The download link still points to ST2 for me?

Valid concern I guess.

0 Likes

Not sure what you mean.

[quote=“castles_made_of_sand”]

[quote]Upgrade Policy
A license is valid for Sublime Text 3, and includes all point updates, as well as access to prior versions (e.g., Sublime Text 2).[/quote]

Future major versions, such as Sublime Text 4, will be a paid upgrade.
The download link still points to ST2 for me?[/quote]

You can still download it, but you can’t buy it. You can buy ST3 and get a free copy of ST2, but you can’t buy ST2. Also, I highly doubt ST2 will see another update from here on out. For all intents and purposes ST3 has been released and is the only product that will see development.

0 Likes

I strongly disagree :smile:

0 Likes

You can still download it, but you can't buy it. You can buy ST3 and get a free copy of ST2, but you can't buy ST2. Also, I highly doubt ST2 will see another update from here on out. For all intents and purposes ST3 has been released and is the only product that will see development.
You can’t actually buy older version of software in general (except software that is sold on phisical support). Why would ST be an exception? :unamused:

0 Likes

Do you, for example, want Jon to backtrack, porting everything possible back to ST2 in a non breaking manner?

Do you want a promise of at least bug fixes for ST2?

It’s not as much progress as you or I’d like, but ST3 IS progress. I’d rather see a mass transition ASAP.

What I’d like to see is a promise of bug fixes for ST2 for a reasonable period and wbond officially compensated for work in speedily porting Package Control and managing the transition.

0 Likes

[quote=“lunixbochs”]

I strongly disagree :smile:[/quote]

I knew I’d get in trouble there :smile: Yeah, it’s “possible”, but trust me, it’s not as nice.

0 Likes

Talking about being able to use the scoping, and even add_regions etc apis from a background thread

The smoothosity is maintained, more so than messing around with various co - scheduling set_timeout mechanisms

0 Likes

sublimelint does absolutely everything in a thread and only merges with set_timeout for pretty much instant add_regions at the very end. Works really well. Every time I worry constant linting slows down the editor it turns out to be a different plugin I installed.

0 Likes

Yes, I love your branch of sublimelint, it saves my arse all the time :smile:

0 Likes

You realize my version is the original, right? :stuck_out_tongue:

I just wish jon had set_status working reliably so I could release the ST3 port.

0 Likes

Yes, actually, I do :smile:

0 Likes

It shouldn’t. People are saying you can still buy ST2 and I’m stating that that is false.

[quote=“castles_made_of_sand”]Do you, for example, want Jon to backtrack, porting everything possible back to ST2 in a non breaking manner?

Do you want a promise of at least bug fixes for ST2?

It’s not as much progress as you or I’d like, but ST3 IS progress. I’d rather see a mass transition ASAP.

What I’d like to see is a promise of bug fixes for ST2 for a reasonable period and wbond officially compensated for work in speedily porting Package Control and managing the transition.[/quote]

I’m pretty sure nothing anyone says in these forums or anywhere else will change the course of ST3. It is what it is. This is a thread for discussing the ST3 beta and I was merely expressing my disappointment in it.

At this point I don’t think my main two issues with ST3 are even fixable. Those being a feature list that doesn’t justify an upgrade or a price increase and API changes that are going to devastate the plugin community.

Speaking to the first, I think the damage has already been done. The feature list could expand in the future but ST3 has already been released and development on ST2 has stopped which will now divide the userbase. You’re going to have a group of users that stick with ST2 because they don’t see it worth upgrading to ST3 and you’re going to have another group that does. Plugin developers are now forced to pick a side or go insane trying to support both.

Speaking to the second, these changes are at the core of ST3. Swapping back to Python 2 would make for a smoother transition, but it appears there was no attempt whatsoever to make the API backwards compatible. I also highly doubt that will occur.

ST3 is the Vista of ST except it’s lacking a hook like Vista had with DX10. Lets just hope ST4 is like 7.

0 Likes

Ok, you have legitimate concerns but saying you can’t buy ST2 seems off to me.

0 Likes

UI themes and syntax coloring from ST2 compatible with ST3? And how i try ST without license? I want try work with ST3 before purchase

0 Likes

It’s funny…so many people were complaining that there hadn’t been any releases for SublimeText, but as soon as there is a release, people start complaining about the release! I don’t get it.

ST2 is end of life. ST3 is the new development and is probably available in the state that is is only because people have been complaining so much. If the development on ST3 is anything like ST2, there will be significant features that will be added over the next year or so.

0 Likes

Hi All.

I’m using ST3 on Windows (portable version) on a Python project. Goto Symbol / Goto Symbol in Project / Goto Definition only list the symbols in the currently open files. Symbols from the other project files are not listed, even though the files are located in a project folder (as declared in my .sublime-project file) and properly listed in the SideBar.

Am I doing something wrong ?

Thx in advance,
Cheers,
-Nicolas.

0 Likes

Your first issue is grouping everyone together. I have not once complained about the lack of updates. Second, having read through this thread, the people expressing their concerns with ST3 are by far the minority. Most are happy to just see a new release. Though if my fears are realized, I imagine there will be some complaining.

ST2 didn’t see many new features added past the public alpha. It saw many updates and improvements, but the majority of the new features were available in the public alpha. I don’t see how it will be any different with ST3. Also, ST3 is available in the state that it’s in because a new major version was the only way to raise the license cost.

0 Likes

I’m actually quite surprised that Jon hasn’t spoken to wbond and ensured that Package Manager works OOTB. I’m quite confident in saying that a vast majority of installs are due to the simplicity of PM and Jon could’ve reduced friction further by having this in there by default.

0 Likes