Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Vintageous - New Vi/Vim Emulation for Sublime Text 3

Re: Vintageous - New Vi Emulation for Sublime Text 3

Postby guillermooo on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:27 pm

Most of that is missing, I'm afraid. Please report an issue in GitHub and I'll look into it. I have my own todo, but I don't need to follow any specific order except for a couple of issues, so if your request is easy, I'll try to do that first.
guillermooo

Postby pipomolo on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:46 pm

OK so after spending a few minutes with it, it seems / doesn't allow me to search, and *, # or n don't work as expected for searching...

Kind of a deal breaker for me, but keep up the good work!
pipomolo

Postby guillermooo on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:51 pm

I was pretty proud of * up until now :), but I'll check against Vim again.

Reverse searches won't be landing any time soon until I know whether an API for that will be made available instead of rolling my own.
guillermooo

Postby guillermooo on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:57 pm

By the way, / is one of the big features I want to look into soon.
guillermooo

Postby pipomolo on Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:01 pm

The way * works in vim is that it basically sets up a search for the word under the cursor for you. So you can then press n and go to the next occurrence.

It's also how it works with Vintage, it integrates with Sublime's search feature, and n does basically the same as F3.

In Vintageous, it seems you have to press * again to go to the next occurrence, which also works in vim, but it's not the only way. Even if you move your cursor, you should still be able to use n.
pipomolo

Postby pipomolo on Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:05 pm

Anyway it's nice to see an alternative vim emulation for ST, and congrats on bringing on the first ST3 plugin!
pipomolo

Postby guillermooo on Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:20 pm

Ok, so it seems your problem is with "n", not "*" itself. And you are right, "n" doesn't work at all now. "*" may not work ok in visual mode, but it should behave as Vim in normal mode.

Thanks for your feedback, it's really appreciated!
guillermooo

Postby pipomolo on Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:45 pm

Well my problem isn't only with n, but with the fact that you implemented * as if its purpose was "bring me to the next occurrence of the word under the cursor". In that regard, it works well, but it's not correct regarding the vim definition:
Code: Select all
*                       Search forward for the [count]'th occurrence of the     
                        word nearest to the cursor.  The word used for the       
                        search is the first of:                                 
                                1. the keyword under the cursor 'iskeyword'     
                                2. the first keyword after the cursor, in the   
                                   current line                                 
                                3. the non-blank word under the cursor           
                                4. the first non-blank word after the cursor,   
                                   in the current line                           
                        Only whole keywords are searched for, like with the                                                         
                        command "/\<keyword\>".  exclusive  {not in Vi}         
                        'ignorecase' is used, 'smartcase' is not. 

As you can see, * isn't just a motion key, but a quick way to trigger a search, coupled to a motion :-)

It should ideally even accept a count parameter, so typing 3* would bring you to the third occurrence. But don't worry, Vintage doesn't support that either :)
pipomolo

Postby guillermooo on Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:51 pm

Well, I said I was proud of * for a reason. It should support counts now! It's working for me in normal mode, but maybe there's a glitch with other modes.

I don't think it's 100% Vim-certified behavior, but counts in normal mode should definitely work. Maybe you're trying to use it with a corner case like a one-letter word, punctuation or something like that. I haven't tested many scenarios yet.
guillermooo

Postby pipomolo on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:19 pm

The count part is nice! I must say I didn't try it before, kudos for that!

So you're basically only missing the quick-search part, which is quite similar to the default "CTRL-F3 / Quick Find" binding (except * does a whole word match, regardless of the current find settings)
pipomolo

PreviousNext

Return to Plugin Announcements