Sublime Forum

Add a tab to each line in self.view.sel()

How would I add a tab to each line from the code selection in the view?

0 Likes

AFAIK, there’s no way to execute the find/replace dialog as a command (which would make this easy, and also would make me very happy because I often want to be able to include find/replace in a macro).

You’ll need to ask the view for the lines, and then insert a tab or replace the line with a tab at the beginning. You’ll need to be careful, because as soon as you insert a tab, this will shift the offset for all subsequent lines. Here is some sample code that should do what you want:

class ExampleCommand(sublime_plugin.TextCommand):
    def run(self, edit):
        for r in reversed(self.view.sel()):
            for line_r in reversed(self.view.lines(r)):
                # Alternatively, use view.insert() here if you're not
                # concerned about tabs getting converted to spaces.
                text = self.view.substr(line_r)
                self.view.replace(edit, line_r, '\t'+text)

An alternative approach is to extract all the line regions into a python list, clear self.view.sel(), and then add them to self.view.sel(). Then iterate over self.view.sel() and call substr/replace or insert(). When you modify regions in a RegionSet, they automatically get adjusted (so you don’t have to do things in reverse). But this would be a bit more complex than the above example.

1 Like

Can’t you just select the text and then hit “tab”?

0 Likes

@sapphirehamster, thanks! I’ll try that.
@adzenith - I don’t want to alter the code - I want to tab the code I’m sending elsewhere via plugin.

0 Likes

@sapphirehamster

Just checked it out but it seems to be also changing the view text as well by adding tabs.
:question: Is there anyway to actually just grab this text ‘tabbed’ without changing the text in view?

0 Likes

I’m not really sure what you mean. In the sample code, you have a variable “text” which contains a line of code. Prepend a tab to it and you now have your indented line. Just don’t call “replace” if you don’t want to update the view. You can append the lines to a list if you need the entire chunk all at once.

0 Likes