Sublime Forum

ST3 High CPU Use

When I give a Sublime Text 3 window focus, it will consume a large amount of CPU for seemingly no reason. E.g., ST3 open in background, CPU use will be 0.0-0.1%. Clicking the window and it will rise to ~15% steady. This happens even if there are no files open, just a blank ST3 window (such as when closing all open windows, then clicking the ST3 icon in the dock.)

I am using Mac OS X 10.8.2 on a retina Macbook Pro 15", ST3 is build 3008.

0 Likes

I can confirm the issue, it’s even a bit worse for me. Several sub-processes are running at 100% all the time (no matter if minimized or in focus). When doing something in the editor (e.g. saving), several more of these processes show up, summing up to an overall usage of 100% (over all cores). Like jgraveskc, I’m using an rMBP 15", OS X 10.8.2 and ST3 Build 3008.

Idle:

Shortly after saving a file:

I’d be happy to provide any additional information/logs if you tell me what you need.

0 Likes

Hello

For what it’s worth I also have this issue. It just kept creating new processes, it got to 400 before the CPU gave in!

I’m on, MBP 15": OS X 10.8.2

Thanks

0 Likes

I just had this issue too with 100+ processes.

I was able to kill the processes by name:

killall "Sublime Text"

MBP 15", OS X 10.8.2, ST3 Build 3008

0 Likes

I saw the update this morning that mentioned the gpu window buffer CPU usage. I was hopeful it would fix the OP bug, but it seems not. Still see elevated CPU use with the window in focus.

0 Likes

Same here !

Even after closing the main Sublime Text app, 5 process use 100% of my CPU

I’m on a MBP 13" late 2011, OSX 18.8.2

0 Likes

CPU usage when the window has input focus is due to the blinking cursor. It’s more of an issue when gpu_window_buffer is enabled, which it will be on any retina MBP. It has been improved in 3009, but more needs to be done: work is ongoing. As a workaround, you can change the caret_style setting to either blink, wide, or solid.

If you are seeing a reasonable amount of multiple processes, 16 or less per window, this is the expected behavior of the file indexing. There is a progress indicator in your status bar showing how this is going. You can disable file_indexing via the index_files setting, but this will also disable Goto Definition and Goto Symbol in Project. Some details are at Build 3009. Please keep in mind that while CPU utilization will be high during indexing, all the indexer processes are running at a low CPU and IO priority, so will hopefully have a minimal impact on the system.

If you’re seeing a runaway number of processes, more than 16 per window, I’d appreciate it if you sent an email to support@sublimetext.com

0 Likes