Sublime Forum

Upgrade pricing? (edit: nevermind! see blog post)

I recently purchased Sublime Text 2 around 6 months ago. It took a lot for me to justify the $70 price. [EDIT: Oops… It was $59] It kind of stinks that I’ll have to shell out another $70 bucks for version 3… I understand that everyone’s got to make a living but some kind of "purchased a license within the last 1 year “upgrade pricing” would be nice at least. If I have to shell out $70 for version 3 i’m not going to do it.

0 Likes

The way I understand it is it’s $30 for current ST2 users. (with keys) And $70 for any new users.

However, if you purchased ST2 within some timeframe (timeframe to be determined at a later date), you can get the upgrade for $15.

0 Likes

Well, you shouldn’t have paid $70 before since it was only $59. Also, there’s a $30 upgrade price unless you bought it recently (then it’s only 15).

0 Likes

[quote=“dragonchaos”]The way I understand it is it’s $30 for current ST2 users. (with keys) And $70 for any new users.

However, if you purchased ST2 within some timeframe (timeframe to be determined at a later date), you can get the upgrade for $15.[/quote]

Ah true… I did pay $59. I could live with $30… $15 would be even nicer though! :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for clearing that up. I didn’t see these upgrade prices listed anywhere.

0 Likes

So I did buy it at $59 as well. $30 more to upgrade? Why do new registered users only have to pay $70 and I have to pay $89? That’s bullox, especially since I bought a license and supported Sublime so long ago.

0 Likes

It isn’t bullox at all. You paid $59 for a previous version of the software. Additional development was done on the software, and if you want those new features then you have to pay a, IMO very reasonable, upgrade cost. Don’t want the new features? Then fine, don’t upgrade. You aren’t entitled to free upgrades. Why would you be?

When you buy a new laptop then a newer model comes out in 6 months, do you get a free upgrade to the latest? Absolutely not. Why should software be different than hardware? And don’t say because there are no hard goods. Software development isn’t easy, and I’m sure significant time and resources went into developing the new features.

0 Likes