Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Sublime Text 3 Beta

Re: Sublime Text 3 Beta

Postby wbond on Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:14 pm

Package Control has been initially ported to ST3. Right now it is broken on Windows due to a lack of the ssl module. Definitely works on Linux and should work on OS X with build 3008.

http://wbond.net/sublime_packages/packa ... lation#ST3

Right now it is just a 1-to-1 port to Python 3. None of the changes necessary have been made yet to support specifying what version of ST a package works with, or support for not extracting .sublime-package files. The install only works from Git due to the CA certs needing to be able to be loaded from the filesystem for the various downloaders. Probably later tonight I will find a way to get it to extract the certs so the console install will work again.
wbond

Postby kemayo on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:22 am

Quick panel seems to have picked up a small bug, if you have a slightly inconsistent list.

If you do:

Code: Select all
results = ['one', 'two', 'three']
self.quick_panel(results, self.panel_done,
            sublime.MONOSPACE_FONT)

It works fine. But if you do:

Code: Select all
results = [["part one", "subtext"], 'two', 'three']
self.quick_panel(results, self.panel_done,
            sublime.MONOSPACE_FONT)

...the entries without the subtext get cut off.

This is fixable by just making sure all the list items are in the subtext form, but it's still a regression from ST2.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-01-30 at 9.00.58 PM.png
Working correctly
Screen Shot 2013-01-30 at 9.00.58 PM.png (35.34 KiB) Viewed 3160 times
Screen Shot 2013-01-30 at 9.00.31 PM.png
The problem
Screen Shot 2013-01-30 at 9.00.31 PM.png (36.79 KiB) Viewed 3162 times
kemayo

Postby qgates on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:54 am

@kemayo. Confirmed regression with quickpanels
qgates

Postby fgimian on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:20 am

Hello everyone,

I purchased in August last year. For what it's worth, I must agree with several people in regards to the extremely fast paid upgrade to v3, I think it is a bit unfair to customers who purchased the product in the last few months, especially since there are no compelling new features (yet). My suggestion would be $15 upgrades to those who purchased in the last 6 or so months, although I will definitely purchase the upgrade even at $30 to support the development of this amazing editor (I can't begin to explain how much I love it!!!).

Now onto more important things...

A few feature requests which I really really hope you'll consider:

Notepad Replacement

Sublime Text 2/3 does not support the -z option correctly for replacing Notepad on Windows machines. See viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1459. I have been using the small exe here (https://github.com/grumpydev/Sublime-No ... eplacement) to do it which has worked OK so far, but this really REALLY should be built right in. Especially now that ST3 opens as fast as Notepad, there's no reason at all that all Windows users wouldn't replace Notepad with it. I used to use this all the time with Notepad2 (before discovering ST2).

Legacy Themes (on Windows)

In Windows, ST2/ST3 still use legacy themes, making the application look like it's running on Windows 98 :)

SublimeTextLegacyDialog.png
SublimeTextLegacyDialog.png (16.69 KiB) Viewed 2931 times

vs
ThemedDialog.png
ThemedDialog.png (18.71 KiB) Viewed 2933 times

Can you please use theme support for your dialogs on the ST3 Windows build?

Font Reset Issue

Preferences / Font / Reset does not seem to respect the following attribute I have defined in my user settings file:

"font_size": 13

It also doesn't seem to follow what's in the default settings file (if I override it). Instead it always seems to reset the font size back to 10. Can you please repair this to follow the font size set in settings?

Syntax Highlighting for Markdown with Monokai

I don't see syntax highlighting working with Markdown and the default Monokai theme (which is my favourite). Why is this the case?

Cheers
fgimian

Postby FichteFoll on Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:01 pm

fgimian wrote:Font Reset Issue

Preferences / Font / Reset does not seem to respect the following attribute I have defined in my user settings file:

"font_size": 13

It also doesn't seem to follow what's in the default settings file (if I override it). Instead it always seems to reset the font size back to 10. Can you please repair this to follow the font size set in settings?

Due to how the font size adjustment works this is not possible because it edits the settings object and saves the changes into "User/Preferences.sublime-settings". Resetting the font size erases the entry in the file completely and results in ST using the default value. For reference, see "Default/font.py". However, try this plugin: https://github.com/SublimeText/RevertFontSize/
FichteFoll

Postby Saxi on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:06 am

Looks like JPS stepped out of this thread when too many people started complaining about upgrade pricing but hope you get to see this.
I bought Sublime Text 2 at the end of November, and would agree it should fall into the "upgrade" window, but I would pay for the upgrade regardless as it is something I use and love daily.

But I don't see me upgrading to ST3 for one big reason, plugins. I am all for efficiency and speed, in fact I'm a junkie regarding this. But it is going to be some time 6-12 months before the plugins I use and depend on have support for ST3. I don't want to have to learn python and hack them myself, and some of them are likely not maintained much making it very slow for them to get updated. For me, a lot of my workflow depends on certain plugins. Some of them I really depend on.
Saxi

Postby wbond on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:46 am

Saxi wrote:But I don't see me upgrading to ST3 for one big reason, plugins. I am all for efficiency and speed, in fact I'm a junkie regarding this. But it is going to be some time 6-12 months before the plugins I use and depend on have support for ST3. I don't want to have to learn python and hack them myself, and some of them are likely not maintained much making it very slow for them to get updated. For me, a lot of my workflow depends on certain plugins. Some of them I really depend on.

I have a feeling that many of the big popular ones will be ported in a few weeks to a month (I am working on mine right now). The simpler ones are probably easier to fix. The `2to3` binary that comes with Python 3 helps quite a bit if you don't know all of the changes between 2.6 and 3.3.
wbond

Postby sublimator on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:50 am

wbond wrote:I have a feeling that many of the big popular ones will be ported in a few weeks to a month

That seems like an accurate assessment to me
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt
sublimator

Postby Saxi on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:25 am

wbond wrote:
Saxi wrote:But I don't see me upgrading to ST3 for one big reason, plugins. I am all for efficiency and speed, in fact I'm a junkie regarding this. But it is going to be some time 6-12 months before the plugins I use and depend on have support for ST3. I don't want to have to learn python and hack them myself, and some of them are likely not maintained much making it very slow for them to get updated. For me, a lot of my workflow depends on certain plugins. Some of them I really depend on.

I have a feeling that many of the big popular ones will be ported in a few weeks to a month (I am working on mine right now). The simpler ones are probably easier to fix. The `2to3` binary that comes with Python 3 helps quite a bit if you don't know all of the changes between 2.6 and 3.3.

Agreed, but it just takes one or two critical ones to disrupt the workflow and make upgrading not worth it.
One plugin I use a lot and would hate to lose is Corona Sublime, but I suspect it would take some time for that to be updated.
Saxi

Postby sublimator on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:29 am

https://github.com/drowne/Corona-Sublime

This doesn't actually seem to have any python plugins?

Packages that are just syntaxes/snippets etc should just work
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt
sublimator

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion