Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Use JavaScript instead of Python for plugins.

Use JavaScript instead of Python for plugins.

Postby steida on Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:39 am

Python 2 or Python 3? Who cares. JavaScript is the right language.
It would boosts SublimeText plugins development.
steida

Re: Use JavaScript instead of Python for plugins.

Postby moloch on Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:16 am

Don't feed the trolls.
moloch

Postby sublimator on Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:55 am

@steida

Start porting PyV8 to Python 3.3 :)
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt
sublimator

Postby tanepiper on Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:08 pm

castles_made_of_sand wrote:@steida

Start porting PyV8 to Python 3.3 :)

I would say this would be the best option - I am looking to port my Sublime-Nodejs package over, and I would mostly like to script things with JavaScript - but there is no need to embed anything like NodeJS in Sublime Text when there is PyV8.

*However* I would love to see the API fully exposed to PyV8 so you have the full option to script in either Python or JS
tanepiper

Postby facelessuser on Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:54 pm

quarnster wrote:F*ck no.

Lol. Javascript isn't really that bad. It can actually be kind of fun. I find the browsers inconsistencies the worse part when working with JS. Take out the browsers, it is actually kind of fun...though I wish regex was better in JS.

With that said, it isn't my scripting language of choice, but I like playing with it on occasions.
facelessuser

Postby sublimator on Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:53 am

Serge needs PyV8 to port Emmet to ST3: https://github.com/sergeche/emmet-sublime

I tried building it once a month or so back but it was beyond my skill/motivation level

You need C++ / boost::python / Python C API knowledge (porting changes from 2.x to 3.x)

boost::python supports python 3.3, but PyV8 also uses some `raw` C extension code
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt
sublimator

Postby sublimator on Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:31 pm

Tried again before and this time managed to build PyV8 on Python3.3, though not all the tests are passing, so there's work to be done

As well as Emmet, I had a javascript linter plugin using it, so I'm pretty interesting in getting it running.
sublimator

Postby methehack on Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:24 pm

I think supporting JS for plugin dev would be awesome and there'd be huge community support.

Speaking very theoretically and with only the faintest familiarity with the plugin architecture of ST, I would guess it would be possible to write a plugin that bridged the ST plugin python API to JS effectively creating a plugin that allowed for JS plugin dev. It might not even be *that* much of a hack. :)
All take my answer off the air :)
methehack

Postby sublimator on Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:06 am

methehack wrote:I would guess it would be possible

Pretty much. The PyV8 author himself is working on the Python 3.3 support now, so it's just a matter of time.
sublimator

Next

Return to Ideas and Feature Requests