Sublime Forum

ST3|ST2: Hex Viewer

Initial port of HexViewer for ST3 is at this branch github.com/facelessuser/HexViewer/tree/ST3

Report any bugs if they are found. May need to restart ST3 after installing. You may notice some hashes missing depending on your platform, this is more than likely because of the SSL version included with ST3’s Python.

Currently check-summing doesn’t work, but should be fixed soon. I will update when I have fixed this.

I no longer provide default keymaps with HexViewer, but I do provide an example keymap file.

Enjoy.

0 Likes

Checksums should be working now.

0 Likes

Just checking, it’s still not possible to run Hex Viewer (i.e., view a pretty hexdump of a file) under ST3, correct?

Looking forward to having more of the features already in ST2 (excellent plugin!)

0 Likes

I run Hexviewer ST3 branch in ST3 all of the time. Keep in mind, I no longer provide shortcuts, but provide an example shortcut file that you can use to set them up yourself. Old shortcuts conflicted with sublime shortcuts.

0 Likes

Hey, I’m new to Sublime Text, and I have ST3 (registered, build 3054), and I installed Package Control, and then installed the HexViewer that was listed in Package Control. I noticed after I already clicked to install it that it said it was for ST2. It seemed to install OK, but am I running a version fully compatible with ST3?

If so, can you update the text to say that?

If not, how do I get the proper version?

It at least toggles to hex view in the one file I tried it in. I didn’t test anything else, but I did notice this in the console when it loads:

... reloading plugin HexViewer.hex_checksum Hex Viewer: md2 hash is not available! Hex Viewer: mdc2 hash is not available! reloading plugin HexViewer.hex_common ...
Is that normal?

Thanks!

0 Likes

Yep. That is why I log the info. Every system, depending on what Jon compiles in, or what is available via that system’s python etc., you get different hash algorithms that are available. I include a couple, but most come from your system.

0 Likes

Oh, right, that is just a print of status, not of an error. Cool.

So I found this version string from Package Control’s List Packages command:

v2013-03-22-19-19-54; github.com/facelessuser/HexViewer

Is this version safe to use with ST3?

Thanks!

0 Likes

If you are using PackageControl 2 it will take care of getting the right version for ST3.

0 Likes

Hexviewer can now handle large files much better. It no longer brings your machine to its knees opening a hex view on a 30MB etc. The new approach loads such a file much, much faster. I also put an arbitrary limit of 50MB on file sizes, so if hexviewer is asked to open something bigger, it will happily deny you (the size is configurable).

Now that larger files are reasonable to open, I need to thread exporting and view reading for the checksumming of large files. One thing at a time :smile:.

0 Likes

By the way, I updated BracketHighligher to not highlight in hex views in the default settings. If you are overriding the default bracket rules, I advise you pick up the recent update to not highlight in hex views. You can notice a lag in a 30MB binary file :wink:.

0 Likes

No longer abusing the API when doing checksums. Large file checksumming no longer freezes your window for a long time. There will be some pause on large files as the entire buffer is read in (instead of calling the API for each line which took forever), and the splitting and process of the lines is now moved into to the thread giving a very reasonable file check sum experience with large files.

Exporting will hopefully be patched later today finishing all of my current HexViewer related tasks.

0 Likes

Converting to hex, exporting, and checksumming is now all properly threaded. Large file support is complete. Large files are much easier to work with now.

Also added, are commands to abort a threaded convert, export, or checksum. HexViewer will also block multiple like threads from being run. So if you start converting a big file and change your mind, just open the quick panel and select the “Abort Hex Conversion” (or whatever you are doing) command.

Also added the option to open a file in an external hex viewer if desired. Also, if an external hex viewer is defined, and the current file exceeds the max file size limit in your settings file, the file will automatically be sent to the external viewer.

I am done playing with HexViewer for a while again.

0 Likes