Sublime Forum

Auto-close HTML/CSS

I would like the option to be able to auto-close tags for HTML/CSS/XML/etc. similar to the way Dreamweaver works. That is about the only thing keeping me from completely ditching Dreamweaver.

0 Likes

This is already possible and in a much better way, try looking around forums a bit, u’ll find some goodies :wink:

0 Likes

I have looked… is it called something else?

0 Likes

Well you have snippets that come with sublime so you can just type any html tag, then press tab and it will insert both tags for u and position the cursor in the middle so u start typing.

You also have these 2 awesome plugins :smile: which will make you a happy camper and forever forget dreamweaver and wonder how you have coded without it all these years.

bitbucket.org/sublimator/webdeve … /wiki/Home
bitbucket.org/sublimator/zencoding/wiki/Home

0 Likes

I like Zen Coding, but its implementation into Sublime is buggy for me.

I also have to select HTML syntax highlighting before I even begin typing… otherwise tab doesn’t handle snippets or Zen Coding, it only indents. That gets very annoying. I would like it to be able to recognize snippets and then automatically change to the correct syntax highlighting like so:

1. File > New (it creates a new Plain Text tab)
  2. Type html:xs and hit Tab
  3. It inserts the appropriate HTML and automatically selects HTML syntax highlighting.

I dunno, maybe I am just too picky… but I can’t find a GREAT and lightweight web development IDE for Windows. I like the color customization of Sublime, but overall for me it is not user-friendly enough for everyday use (editing text files for preferences, figuring out shortcuts, etc.)

Basically I am looking for an IDE for Windows with highly customizable syntax highlighting (including changing background color) like in Sublime, can handle snippets, uses Zen Coding, is user-friendly, and has (built-in or via plugin) a stylish navigator like in Espresso (meaning not the old tree-style navigation). But without a bunch of extra bulk features that I don’t plan on using (kinda excludes Aptana).

It seems all the really good web development apps are on Macs, but I am not willing to drop that much money into an over-hyped system that costs way more than it should for its performance and features.

0 Likes

I don’t think it is as much of an issue with Zen as it is with Sublime. It mainly has to do with the way Sublime handles shortcuts/snippets as I mentioned above… I have also tried Zen in Dreamweaver and it works great.

Also one thing I have noticed is that it doesn’t cleanly generate the HTML5 with breaks. For example:

div#wrapper>div#header+div#nav+div#content+div#footer

yields clean code:

[code]

[/code] But this: [code]header+nav+section+footer[/code] yields inline code: [code][/code] Basically, pressing Tab causes problems with HTML5 in Sublime, and you can't make any errors when typing or it won't work at all.
0 Likes