Sublime Forum

Can we please have an option for a block cursor?

[quote=ā€œatomiā€]

I donā€™t know much about python. Can you share the modified code for using it everywhere to me? thx

Remove lines 22,23,24

if view.settings().get('is_widget') or not view.settings().get('command_mode'):
            view.erase_regions('SublimeBlockCursorListener')
            return

So that It only does

self.show_block_cursor(view)

In the file:
github.com/netpro2k/SublimeBloc ā€¦ kCursor.py[/quote]

thx. but itā€™s so not the same as what i mean for block cursorā€¦sadā€¦ :cry:

0 Likes

You know how the saying goes: Nothing is better than something.

Wait, that doesnā€™t sound rightā€¦

0 Likes

I had to create a user account on the forum to be able to +1 this request. A block cursor would be really important especially in Vi command mode. Of course, the themes would then need to be able to set the cursor background and text colors.

0 Likes

+1 for this feature. Or the aforementioned Python hooks would be sufficient too.

0 Likes

+1 for a huge block cursor. And, if possible, column line highlight :smile:

Great help to follow caret when using high speed vi commands.

0 Likes

[quote=ā€œabathologistā€]If you add both of the following to ā€œSettings - Userā€, you can get it be be blinky and wide at the same time:

[code]ā€œcaret_styleā€: ā€œphaseā€

ā€œwide_caretā€: true[/code]
[/quote]

Thanks for this!

Did you find this documented somewhere? (I have never come across it before, and I thought I knew all the common places to look for options.)

Alex

0 Likes

Related, itā€™d be nice to see a UX enhancement to bring the userā€™s attention to the cursor, optionally when tab/window gets focus and optionally when the user hits a panic key (Iā€™ve lost the cursor!). Some kind of circle zooming down to the cursor or something along those lines.

Iā€™m losing the caret in sublime all the time, especially when keyboard switching between split panes. I suppose line hilighting helps, and block cursor would be more visible, but Iā€™m hoping for block cursor together with virtual space so that the cursor appearance changes when in virtual space.

I suppose cursor classes and API hooks to allow us to render appearance of each class would be the most flexible approach.

S

0 Likes

@malpeli: Please checkout my new plugin called CursorRuler (announcement thread here: CursorRuler - Marks cursor position with dynamic rulers) which can do column highlighting :smile:

0 Likes

i had hoped we would have both a block cursor AND virtual spaces in ST3ā€¦ mybe by the time it comes out of beta we will have theseā€¦ we can only hope :smile:))

0 Likes

+1 for a block cursor.

As some other people here I had to create a forum login just to +1 this.
Iā€™m really surprised that it wasnā€™t already an option.

0 Likes

[quote=ā€œjonjacā€]+1 for a block cursor.

As some other people here I had to create a forum login just to +1 this.
Iā€™m really surprised that it wasnā€™t already an option.[/quote]

Agreed. The option of having a block cursor is a must in an editor like ST.

0 Likes

yes, pls block cursor. Whenever I search I loose track of the cursor. A non-blinking yellow fat block or something alike would be perfect.

0 Likes

+1 for block cursor. Switched from MacVIM and miss it badly.

0 Likes

+1 for block cursor.

0 Likes

+1 for block cursor

0 Likes

You can add ā€œinverse_caret_stateā€: true to user preferences.

0 Likes

Will be the first to +1 this for 2014.

0 Likes

+1 for block cursor

0 Likes

Build 3054
Release Date: 16 October 2013
Fixed incorrect title bar in new sessions
Auto complete now works as expected in macros
Vintage: A block caret is now used
Linux: Fixed menu hiding not restoring correctly at startup
Linux: Fixed incorrect underscore display in some menus

0 Likes

The last post in this thread indicated that in Build 3054 a block caret was again used, however, Iā€™m currently running Build 3059:

OS X Mavericks
Sublime Text 3
Stable Channel, Build 3059

and the caret is now a blinking ā€˜_ā€™ underline character in ā€œNormalā€-mode, and a blinking ā€˜|ā€™ pipe character in ā€œInsertā€-mode.
What Iā€™m after in ā€œNormalā€-mode is the blinking block, like that which exists in MacVim ā€œNormalā€-mode.

On my windows machine Iā€™m running the exact same version and configuration/settings of/for ST3:

Windows 7
Sublime Text 3
Stable Channel, Build 3059

and the caret IS correctly the blinking block in ā€œNormalā€-mode with the blinking ā€œ|ā€ pipe in ā€œInsertā€-mode just like Vim.

Why is the ā€œNormalā€-mode caret correctly a blinking block in everything else (vim, MacVim, GVim, others) on both my OS X and Windows based machines, is correct in ST3 on my Windows based machine, but only in ST3 on my OS X machine it is a blinking ā€œ_ā€ underline character?

Iā€™ve tried every suggestion to fix this Iā€™ve found thus far, but nothing has fixed this issue in ST3 under OS X. Any suggestions?

Re: Can we please have an option for a block cursor

Postby tito on Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:51 pm
Build 3054
Release Date: 16 October 2013
Fixed incorrect title bar in new sessions
Auto complete now works as expected in macros
Vintage: A block caret is now used
Linux: Fixed menu hiding not restoring correctly at startup
Linux: Fixed incorrect underscore display in some menus

0 Likes