Sublime Forum

Strange error on startup

Newbie here, just downloaded the trial version. Every time I start SublimeText I get this error:

“There was an error getting 8.3 shortfile names for AAALoadFirstExtensions package. These are relied upon as python does not support unicode for its module paths. Make sure shortpath names are ENABLED and take steps to make sure they have been created before trying again.”

I checked the Registry key as described here, and shortpath names are already enabled on my system (Windows XP SP3). (The Disable registry key is set to 0.)

Not a great first impression I’m afraid. Any ideas?

BTW, I can’t believe Python hasn’t figured out Unicode yet.

0 Likes

To be sure, you can close Sublime Text, then delete %APPDATA%\Sublime Text. Next time you start it, it’ll be restored to a freshly installed state.

0 Likes

Thanks guys! Deleting %APPDATA%\Sublime Text fixed the problem.

I assumed I had a fresh installation since I just downloaded and installed the trial version. But I forgot I gave Sublime Text a spin last year, tried a few plugins and uninstalled it after concluding that it wasn’t quite ready for prime time yet. I think it is ready now …

0 Likes

[quote=“cheesecake23”]Thanks guys! Deleting %APPDATA%\Sublime Text fixed the problem.

I assumed I had a fresh installation since I just downloaded and installed the trial version. But I forgot I gave Sublime Text a spin last year, tried a few plugins and uninstalled it after concluding that it wasn’t quite ready for prime time yet. I think it is ready now …[/quote]

I suggest the download the betas as they are frequently updated and includes bug fixes and most of the time user requested features :smile:

0 Likes