Sublime Forum

Mandatory Paid Upgrade

So I upgrade to the new version, I entered the license and got this notification:

[quote]Thanks for trying out Sublime Text 3!

Sublime Text 3 is a paid upgrade from Sublime Text 2, and an upgrade will be required for use when 3.0 is released

Until then, please enjoy Sublime Text 3.
[/quote]

Why is it required? If I don’t consider purchasing it, then does it means my Sublime Text 2 license will be expired? If you’re making this upgrade mandatory, you should make it clear at the time everyone who is purchasing a license for Sublime Text 2. When I purchase mine all I’m told is Sublime Text 3 will be a paid upgrade. It didn’t say the upgrade will be required, nor it say when the 3rd version is released.

I can afford the upgrade and I probably will, but I would be less disappointed in the dev if he just make the price $90 and the upgrade free

0 Likes

The upgrade isn’t mandatory. You can continue using ST2 even after ST3’s official release date, but, if you want to use ST3, you’ll have to upgrade your license.

0 Likes

wait, it’s not? ok that justifies my purchase for sublime text 2. however the message
“Sublime Text 3 is a paid upgrade from Sublime Text 2, and an upgrade will be required for use when 3.0 is released”
still sounds like I need to upgrade if i want to continue using Sublime Text 2

0 Likes

Did you just purchase the license? I thought that if you buy the license now you get both ST3 and ST2.

0 Likes

Exactly, all licenses purchased after 2013-01-29 are already ST3 licenses.

0 Likes

I purchased last June, so I’m not eligible for the free upgrade
btw if I upgrade before the release of st3 will it cost only $15?

0 Likes

[quote=“msr”]

I purchased last June, so I’m not eligible for the free upgrade
btw if I upgrade before the release of st3 will it cost only $15?[/quote]

No, the upgrade license will only be available at the release date and it will cost $30 (unless you bought your ST2 license very recently yet before the first beta of ST3, at this case, it would be $15).

[quote=“jps Sublime Text 3 Beta”]

Upgrade licenses aren’t available yet, nor are they required. The plan is that upgrading won’t need to happen until 3.0 is released, and I don’t want anyone paying before they need to.[/quote]

0 Likes

[quote=“weslly”]

Exactly, all licenses purchased after 2013-01-29 are already ST3 licenses.[/quote]

Thanks weslly! I’ll be finally purchasing it by the end of the week. Paycheck day :smile:

0 Likes