Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Auto-close HTML/CSS

Auto-close HTML/CSS

Postby perseco on Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:09 am

I would like the option to be able to auto-close tags for HTML/CSS/XML/etc. similar to the way Dreamweaver works. That is about the only thing keeping me from completely ditching Dreamweaver.
perseco

Re: Auto-close HTML/CSS

Postby EJ12N on Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:22 pm

This is already possible and in a much better way, try looking around forums a bit, u'll find some goodies ;)
EJ12N

Postby perseco on Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:17 am

I have looked... is it called something else?
perseco

Postby EJ12N on Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:41 pm

perseco wrote:I have looked... is it called something else?

Well you have snippets that come with sublime so you can just type any html tag, then press tab and it will insert both tags for u and position the cursor in the middle so u start typing.

You also have these 2 awesome plugins :) which will make you a happy camper and forever forget dreamweaver and wonder how you have coded without it all these years.

http://bitbucket.org/sublimator/webdeve ... /wiki/Home
http://bitbucket.org/sublimator/zencoding/wiki/Home
EJ12N

Postby perseco on Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:43 am

I like Zen Coding, but its implementation into Sublime is buggy for me.

I also have to select HTML syntax highlighting before I even begin typing... otherwise tab doesn't handle snippets or Zen Coding, it only indents. That gets very annoying. I would like it to be able to recognize snippets and then automatically change to the correct syntax highlighting like so:

1. File > New (it creates a new Plain Text tab)
2. Type html:xs and hit Tab
3. It inserts the appropriate HTML and automatically selects HTML syntax highlighting.

I dunno, maybe I am just too picky... but I can't find a GREAT and lightweight web development IDE for Windows. I like the color customization of Sublime, but overall for me it is not user-friendly enough for everyday use (editing text files for preferences, figuring out shortcuts, etc.)

Basically I am looking for an IDE for Windows with highly customizable syntax highlighting (including changing background color) like in Sublime, can handle snippets, uses Zen Coding, is user-friendly, and has (built-in or via plugin) a stylish navigator like in Espresso (meaning not the old tree-style navigation). But without a bunch of extra bulk features that I don't plan on using (kinda excludes Aptana).

It seems all the really good web development apps are on Macs, but I am not willing to drop that much money into an over-hyped system that costs way more than it should for its performance and features.
perseco

Postby perseco on Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:27 pm

I don't think it is as much of an issue with Zen as it is with Sublime. It mainly has to do with the way Sublime handles shortcuts/snippets as I mentioned above... I have also tried Zen in Dreamweaver and it works great.

Also one thing I have noticed is that it doesn't cleanly generate the HTML5 with breaks. For example:

Code: Select all
div#wrapper>div#header+div#nav+div#content+div#footer

yields clean code:
<div id="wrapper">
   <div id="header"></div>
   <div id="nav"></div>
   <div id="content"></div>
   <div id="footer"></div>
</div>

But this:
header+nav+section+footer

yields inline code:
<header></header><nav></nav><section></section><footer></footer>

Basically, pressing Tab causes problems with HTML5 in Sublime, and you can't make any errors when typing or it won't work at all.
perseco

Return to Ideas and Feature Requests