Sublime Forum

Tooltips

Jon, you know that Tooltips are wanted by everyone, how did this not make it into ST3? To me, that’s something that would make up a new version, speed improvements are just incremental stuff surely?

Not that I don’t appreciate the changes, I’m buying ST3 as a full license when it’s made, but I’m just curious why we can’t have something every user wants.

0 Likes

I don’t think Jon at any time has put a feature freeze on ST3. There very well may be much more coming as it appears the majority of the work he has done so far is overhauling the insides and he hasn’t really added many new features to draw people to upgrade. ST2 had a lot of things added after the initial first alpha/beta release; I know code folding was one he said he was holding off on until ST3, but we got it anyways. I can’t speak for Jon and say he is going to add tooltips or not. I’m just saying people probably need to give him a bit of time.

It would be nice to know what his roadmap for ST3 is though.

0 Likes

+1

0 Likes

another +1!
I would love to see this in ST3!

0 Likes

Another +1

0 Likes

Jon has already spoken on the topic here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10780&p=42383&hilit=+tooltip#p42383
So no need to keep bumping this thread.

0 Likes

[quote=“jps”]

It’s something I very much want to get done, but at this stage I don’t know when that will be.[/quote]

There is no indication of time in this post, so I think it is normal that people continue to ask for it (now and not in 2 years).
If Jon say that this feature will be in ST3 final, people will stop asking for it.

0 Likes

[quote=“C0D312”]Jon has already spoken on the topic here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10780&p=42383&hilit=+tooltip#p42383
So no need to keep bumping this thread.[/quote]

He also said there is something to be said on ST not being a one man show anymore. Didn’t hear anything.

Since we’re all buying this product and showing our support to Jon, it’d be nice to know what Jon has planned. We’re not entitled to know, of course, but if Jon wants to continue having such a wonderful community of people we should be told a couple of things, don’t you think?

0 Likes

Yup, I think the ocasional poke is a very good ideia.
Anyone who has written code knows that sometimes one gets lost in some way cool new ideia and forgets about something which looks simple and not very relevant, to everyone but ourselves :smile:

Extra GUI features for the plugins API are a must, IMHO.
I’ve been trying to poke myself to try some sort of pdb integration into sublime, but I keep tripping over the lack of GUI features to show and drill down into stack lists and context vars. Writing my own window code to use an empty window and text buffer feels like “square peg into round hole” as well as “reinventing the wheel”. Too many metaphors, right there :stuck_out_tongue:

Tooltips are not as cool as a key/value treeview, but would help quite a bit

0 Likes