Sublime Forum

What do you use Sublime Text for?

ColdFusion/CFScript

The ColdFusion package has almost 29k installs.

0 Likes

Besides the languages listed, I also have some assembly language files I edit with ST (mostly 32- and 64-bit x86), and some Perl.

0 Likes

SASS, Django, CoffeeScript, JSON.

0 Likes

How can you leave C out? I voted C++ as the closest.
This editor inspired and learned me that programming doesn’t have to be boring.
I’m planning to buy it sometime in the future. (just a jobless college drop-out for the time being :frowning: )

0 Likes

I voted for the few top languages I use it for mostly, but really I use it for every text editing/reading/code writing task, even when composing longer forum posts and emails sometimes. And as a gdb frontend. And android logcat viewer.

0 Likes

C/C++
Python
Binary (Hex Viewer)
Company Proprietary Language
Batch
Shell Scripts
XML
Plain Text
Javascript
HTML
CSS
PHP

0 Likes

Primarily: HTML and CSS while working some back-end fiddling around in python (Flask)

I’ve also played around with some C++ and Go a bit out of curiosity although I don’t currently do anything with them.

I’ve also toyed around with a little bit of C and Lua for configuring window Managers.

0 Likes

• C/Assembly/Perl
0 Likes

Bash,
*.ini files
apache conf
nginx conf
my.cnf
.log

0 Likes

The languages I typically use are C, Latex, Java and Python. Sometimes I also use Sublime Text for R/Sweave and Matlab, but in any case I use it to open practically all text files :smile:

0 Likes

SystemVerilog

0 Likes

Autohotkey
Python
C#

0 Likes

Tcl

0 Likes

SCSS and CodeKit.

0 Likes

Haxe
Haxe Erazor Templates
NME
SCSS

0 Likes

VBScript, AutoHotKey, Powershell

0 Likes

wut! no forth!

i would have beaten D by at leats ONE if you had listed forth :smile:

}:slight_smile: <-- evil grin ™

0 Likes

In order of usage:

C/C++
Python
LOG viewing (plain text)
Shell Scripting
Objective C
Perl

0 Likes

Other

Cobol (yes, really!)
Assembler
Tab-sepearated and Comma separated text (CSV) files
Various types of config files, OS scripting and logs
(related) Very Large text files

In some of these cases, the lack of flexible tabstops is a real PITA, especially with Tab-separated columnar data as produced in a number of logfile types and other scientific data dumps. Brief (one of my old favourites), allowed setting tabs with a command like “tab 5 20 50 55” which would set tabstops at each position, with the remaining tabstops defined by the last two (ie. 60, 65, 70 etc.). That and virtual space are probably the biggest asks for me in Sublime, and are probably the reason most of my colleagues stick with their favourite editor instead of switching. That and the restrictions in macro flexibility. Several TM users have mentioned to me about Sublime’s code folding (‘dumb’ indent based and not observing tmLanguage apparently) and indenting style limitations; neither bother me personally but it comes up regularly in conversation.

On the last item above, large files; Sublime seems to struggle a bit with this, especially with complex manipulations and undo. The other main editor I use is Crisp which performs superbly in this regard, especially when applying large S&R ops with regexes and column manipulations with rectangular selections. Files could be over a gigabyte in size. I have not yet tried ST3 with such files, could I expect any improvement there?

I’m spreading the word, but Sublime’s a hard sell unless in addition to its niceties it fulfils bread and butter requirements for a given user. But I do like what’s gone into ST/2, and recent developments. Keep it up!

:smile:

0 Likes

In addition : ( S ) CSS - not listed above.

0 Likes