Sublime Forum

Carets beyond EOL

Hi,
i’m doing my first steps into ST2 in OSX Lion. I have a short experience with ST2 in Windows, so now i’m trying to advance in OSX.
Already solved the issue of the home/end different behavoir between Win and OSX with the help of a post from this forum. The only remaining issue I already have has to do with the cursor/caret behavoir. If I’m at EOL, pressing ‘right’ key makes caret to jump to BOL in the next line, instead of moving to the right. I’ve been trying to find a paremeter in the preferences but without luck.
What should I change to allow the caret to move beyond eol? Or, at least, to avoid it jumping to BOL in next line?

Regards,

Carlos

0 Likes

Sublime Text doesn’t support “virtual space”, i.e. moving past the end of a line.
As for not wrapping to the next line, I think the VI emulation might do something like that? Or you could write a plugin.

0 Likes

Yup. Keep asking for this one; lack of virtual space is one of my biggest gripes with Sublime. If you’ve grown up with this freedom in your previous favourite editor(s), it’s a bind to live without and a real workflow hindrance in certain situations.

While I’m a big fan of what’s happening with ST3 by way of turbocharging extension development possibilities, there’s some basic core functionality missing that can’t be written as extensions. Virtual space and Definable tabstops are two examples; both can be “kludged” in extensions, but there are all kinds of caveats and gotchas with such approaches. Another example is code folding, which needs to support tmLanguage hints instead of just using indent level, and restrictive macros, which won’t record a good deal of things in sublime including S&R. Such things are the “nuts and bolts” of a good editor.

I’m afraid that these kinds of basics are keeping a lot of people away from Sublime. Sublime is “nice for some jobs” at the moment, but not the “go-to tool for all”. It’s a shame that the author doesn’t seem to recognise that, because in reality some of these basics probably require far less work than the overhaul of Sublime’s extension system / python bridge, and these simple improvements would win him a lot of new customers.

0 Likes

Ok, understood, virtual space is not a feature of ST. I can stand without that, but having the caret jumping to the next line like it was a wrapped line is a real pain. Is there some tick to avoid the jump to the next line? It’s not obvious for me how to catch such event.
I’m a beginner, so i’m afraid i’m not able to write an extension. In fact i’m just testing ST because of the good comments i’ve read in forums, but i can live without it.

Thanks anyway.

regards,
Carlos

0 Likes