Sublime Forum

Word wrap -- text+period -- how to treat as one word?

Is there any way to configure Sublime Text 2 so that periods connected to text are treated as one word for purposes of automatic word wrapping at edge of window?

There have been quite a few occasions where my attention gets focused at the period that is wrapped because my initial instinct is that something went wrong. It sure would be nice to have text+period always be treated as one word for purposes of word wrapping.

P.S.: This behavior also happens with parenthesis, so the same questions applies there also.

0 Likes

Upgrading to ST3, unfortunately, is your only option.

0 Likes

Yes, and here’s an example of a bug/annoyance that ought be fixed for paying ST2 customers, who don’t necessarily want (nor should feel compelled) to upgrade to ST3. This issue makes ST2 less than fit for “prose”, a stated purpose for the product.

As a general point I think Jon would win more people over if some effort went into addressing such issues over the course of the product’s release cycle, by demonstrating a willingness to provide some basic support to those willing to support his endeavours financially.

0 Likes

This has been a request for a long time and the developer had said (if memory serves) that this would be fixed for ST3 because of the whatever technical thingie. Presumably there’s some internal work that would not work in ST2; otherwise, I can’t imagine it would have been left unfixed for so long.

But, yeah, I get what you mean.

Alex.

0 Likes

I am not certain whether I would be willing to upgrade the OSX, as I am rather fond of 10.6.8.

0 Likes

Ouch. I use Windows and Linux myself and I hadn’t realized that this was the case with OSX.

0 Likes

Any way to remove the definition of certain characters as word separator for specific document types (e.g., text), or set a specific definition of word separators?

0 Likes

Truly true, I bought key for ST1.4 and ST2 and use it only for prose writing. I only use 1.4 for writing, but I would have used ST2 if there would’t be that annoying line break bug. I mean this should really be fixed also in ST2 because it’s sold as an editor for prose writing as everybody can see here sublimetext.com/

But on the other hand, I love ST and will upgrade anyway to have the latest version. So what :mrgreen: :geek: :sunglasses:

0 Likes

You should be able to use the setting “word_separators” in the syntax specific setting file. Make sure to include all the defaults, and then remove what you don’t want.

The default setting for reference:
“word_separators”: “./\()”’-:,.;<>~!@#$%^&*|+=]{}`~?"

0 Likes

Thank you very much for steering me in the right direction – greatly appreciated.

0 Likes