Sublime Forum

File previewing in Sublime Text 3

It’s only habit, you should get used to single click for better productivity :wink:

0 Likes

Hi Enzy

well i tried to start editing files when in preview mode… after just one click in the sidebar…
i could live with it… anyway it’s an odd behaviour that a double click on an item opens another item :smile:

0 Likes

I have the same issue with this. I always end up opening the wrong file with a double-click.

0 Likes

Maybe Jon is teaching us that the right way to open a file is ctrl+p…

0 Likes

i solved this issue with this option:

“preview_on_click”: false

1 Like

[quote=“krur”]i solved this issue with this option:

“preview_on_click”: false[/quote]

The thing is, people do want the preview functionality.

0 Likes

Is there a way to turn off the opening part of single click previewing in ST3?

I’m a big fan of single click to preview, double click to open.

0 Likes

I am using ST3 (build 3047) and when I single click, it previews the file but doesn’t adds it to the Open Files list, it only does it with a double click. I have “preview_on_click” set to true.

0 Likes

Still same behaviour in 3055… single click open tab aswell…

0 Likes

In the latest builds the original issue doesn’t seem to be present, single clicking showing file immediately in the open file list.

If you don’t want a new tab, aka preview tab, adjust your preferences as described earlier in this thread…

0 Likes

I don’t see any problem:

• single click unopened file under “folders” opens a preview tab (filename in italics). Preview tab always appears next to current tab. No entries appear under “open files” or “groups”.
  • double click the file and it is opened; an entry is inserted into “open files” or “groups” and everything moves down 1 line, if that section is visible. If not, nothing moves except the scrollbar :smile:

Behaviour is much as ST2, at least for me on Windows. The only difference is the “preview tab”. Imo that’s much better than ST2 where previews take the place of the current tab and visually things are not always clear.

0 Likes

yes, the issue has been resolved in some ST3 release (i couldn’t track it)

this issue can be closed!, thank you Jon

0 Likes

I could agree with you, but this behaviour is actually inconsistent, and this is why (imho of course):
say, you have 3 file already opened, at a certain point of your workflow you preview a 4th file, in the tablist a 4th tab pops up, but when you jump to one of the other 3 files (say, the previewed one was useless for your workflow), even you didn’t edit it… it remains in tablist and this from a ux point of view is totally counterintuitive and worng…

0 Likes

[quote=“Orlmente”]I could agree with you, but this behaviour is actually inconsistent, and this is why (imho of course):
say, you have 3 file already opened, at a certain point of your workflow you preview a 4th file, in the tablist a 4th tab pops up, but when you jump to one of the other 3 files (say, the previewed one was useless for your workflow), even you didn’t edit it… it remains in tablist and this from a ux point of view is totally counterintuitive and worng…[/quote]

OK, I didn’t understand your description to begin with, I but I think I see what you’re getting at now. You have 3 files opened using double click (they’re open for editing). You single click a 4th to preview it. You decide you didn’t want to work in that file, so you navigate to one of the 3 you already have open, and the 4th one (the preview tab) remains open. You would like to see it go away when it is no longer the active tab.

0 Likes

Exactly ntenney,
is useless to keep that file open in tabs, there’s double click for that… more, even the comment in the default sublime-settings states that only double click will open the file and assign a tab for it:

that’s said, this should be considered a bug and not a feature…

0 Likes

I actually like the new behaviour. I can navigate away to another file and come back to the preview which is useful in my workflow. But I think that it’s trivial to make everyone happy in this regard; A config option “close_inactive_preview_tabs” :smile:

0 Likes

+1 for Orlmente’s sentiment:

[quote=“Orlmente”]Exactly ntenney,
is useless to keep that file open in tabs, there’s double click for that… more, even the comment in the default sublime-settings states that only double click will open the file and assign a tab for it:

that’s said, this should be considered a bug and not a feature…[/quote]

I would like to see Sublime Text 3’s file preview behave the same way as Sublime Text 2, just with the addition of Sublime Text 3’s “new tab on preview” concept.

0 Likes

I agree with Orlmente.

Previewing files should not open a physical tab in my point of view, because it’s previewing, and previewed files are not intended to stay opened.

I’d like an option to choose this behaviour.

0 Likes

I would like to add that if you have an entry in your sidebar menu for deleting files and you right click on a file also opens it in a preview tab. Then when you delete the file and confirm that you want it deleted the preview tab does not close. You then have to close it and go through the “close without saving” dialog. Deleting a file is very difficult with the preview function turned on. Maybe that will be better for some people :astonished: because it help prevent accidental deletes but I find it to be slightly annoying. So, I had to turn file previews off even-though I really like the preview function.

I don’t always delete files but when I do I delete them all.

ST3:3059 on Linux

0 Likes

OK, so here’s my take on the file preview. I like the st3 way of doing it better than the st2 way. With st2, it could get confusing because if you had a file open for editing, and clicked on a file to preview, it looked (at least with some themes) that the file you were previewing was a file opened for editing, and named the same as the file you had been editing. But, I think that it should be more apparent that the file being previewed in st3 is in preview mode, and as has been mentioned, if I navigate away from the tab, it should close automatically. In other words, preview should not be functionally equivalent to opening the file for editing, or there shouldn’t be a preview mode at all.

0 Likes