Sublime Forum

Printing from Sublime Text 2?

https://forum.sublimetext.com/t/print-support/6761/4
https://forum.sublimetext.com/t/tip-of-the-moment/39/1

0 Likes

I use Print to HTML for printing from ST2. It’s available from package control or here:
github.com/joelpt/sublimetext-print-to-html

0 Likes

In windows I have a package implementing a VisualStudio com interface (using the comtypes library). I just interfaced with the Print options in Visual Studio.

0 Likes

This is seriously a huge fail for Sublime. These people suggesting other tools to print are whacked out. If you charge $60 for a text editor, printing is a foundational function. I thought I found the best text editor around until I went to print. Thank goodness I am still using the trial.

Huge Fail - Huge

0 Likes

[quote=“mkboudreau”]This is seriously a huge fail for Sublime. These people suggesting other tools to print are whacked out. If you charge $60 for a text editor, printing is a foundational function. I thought I found the best text editor around until I went to print. Thank goodness I am still using the trial.

Huge Fail - Huge[/quote]

I’ve been a web developer for 8 years and never needed to print my code. If I need to share it I email it. Still I’m sure its important to some. I think its the best text editor. If I want to print I’ll use word or google doc’s.

0 Likes

I’ve also been a developer for about a decade. I must say that while printing isn’t every day occurrence, I do find it convenient to print out code segments for group discussion. It bothers me that such an awesome text editor requires a silly workaround for a basic feature.

I’m hoping this feature gets added in the future.

0 Likes

Well, I see Sublime Text is a very popular editor for web developers, but for me is a great general purpose editor. I don’t use to write code for html, neither css or php. The most of times I use it for program with C/C++ and CUDA and also for compose documents with LaTeX, Beamer and sometimes BibTeX.

It’s a pity that all that great layout can’t be exported into a printed format. I think the colors are not so important, we could print in black and white, but why on Earth don’t allow to realise a basic, fundamental task??? :cry: I think also it is a huge fail for sublime. :imp:

0 Likes

agreed, this is a serious omission, need to be able to print! I’m seriously considering going back to UltraEdit because of this.

0 Likes

I have a plugin that supplies interop with Visual Studio 2012 on PC using pywin32. I use the interop to have Visual Studio print my files.
If you are working on PC it would be easy enough to communicate with Word or Excel to print if you can write plugins.

0 Likes

Will ST3 support printing?

0 Likes

This issue is a major concern for a very vocal minority of forum users. Almost as many people have chimed in and said that printing is a minor issue for them. Others have posted work arounds that they use. Usually these are dismissed by the critics without actually trying them out.

I’ve said it before. Cross platform printing is a tough problem. I don’t blame Jon for avoiding it, and there are other features that I’d rather he spend his time working on.

0 Likes

[quote=“ntenney”]

This issue is a major concern for a very vocal minority of forum users.[/quote]

really?

sublimetext.userecho.com/topic/25170-printing/

0 Likes

[quote=“sinoxer”]

really?

sublimetext.userecho.com/topic/25170-printing/[/quote]

Yes really. I had never heard of userecho until you posted that link, and, correct me if I’m wrong, but userecho is not the official forums. Also, did you bother to read the posts on that topic? A vocal group of people complaining about printing, some people posting and saying it’s not a big deal, some others giving work arounds, and the critics dismissing the work arounds. Pretty much exactly what I said.

0 Likes

[quote=“ntenney”]

really?

sublimetext.userecho.com/topic/25170-printing/

Yes really. I had never heard of userecho until you posted that link, and, correct me if I’m wrong, but userecho is not the official forums. Also, did you bother to read the posts on that topic? A vocal group of people complaining about printing, some people posting and saying it’s not a big deal, some others giving work arounds, and the critics dismissing the work arounds. Pretty much exactly what I said.[/quote]

Your incredibly lame retorics doesn’t change the fact that 1065 upvotes exists. Well, 1064 now that you voted it down.

0 Likes

OK, you’ve just outed yourself as Arjan. I thought that might be the case when I read one of your other threads, but I wasn’t sure. At this point, I’m only posting on this thread so that someone scanning through the forums later won’t read this thread and think this is yet another “unanswered post”. It seems like you have a personal ax to grind against Sublime Text and Jon. That’s the only reason I can think of that keeps you coming back and trolling the forums this persistently.

So, let me answer the personal attack you leveled at me. I never said that there were no upvotes. I never said that no one wants this feature. I said that it is a vocal minority. Let’s do the math. There are 13880 members on the OFFICIAL forum for Sublime Text. 1065 is less than 50% of the registered users on the official forums (in fact, it is less than 10%), therefore it is a minority. Heck yeah, I downvoted it. I didn’t even know userecho existed, and now I’m making my position known by voting. Just like you probably made your position known by upvoting it.

Also, you should learn the meaning of words before you try to use them (or spell them for that manner). In fact, we’ve both been using rhetoric to get our point across. Unless of course, you are going for the alternate meaning and implying that I’ve been dishonest or unreasonable. In which case, I challenge you to find an instance where I’ve been dishonest in any of our conversations. Reasonable is a more subjective measure, but I believe that I’ve been reasonable in my posts.

0 Likes

To bring things back on topic. The question of printing has been answered many times here, but let’s go over it again…

I think the key reasons that Jon has left printing down the priority pile:

1. Done well, printing support across multiple platforms is non-trivial work.
  2. Relatively few users need this function, and only occasionally. For the overwhelming use-case, there’s a perfectly workable solution via a plugin (see below). Most of the editor is used all the time by most users, Jon is a sole-developer; I’m guessing he wants to focus on functions that he thinks will bring maximum benefit to the editor and market impact - for most users.

A simple solution is to use the Export HTML plugin together with your browser. Apart from simple, it’s also pretty darned flexible, because once your printable code is in HTML/CSS you can do lots with it in before printing (ie. on the fly styling of fonts, colours, spacing, pagination, etc.). That’s programmer friendly; after all, the primary audience for sublime. As many, I’ve been doing it this way for a while and it’s both simple and flexible. Most text editors’ inbuilt print facilities are nowhere near as flexible, though they’ll save you a couple of mouseclicks. I prefer the flexibility and see the extra couple of clicks as a non-issue.

For the above reason I really don’t understand why people are so hung up on printing. Maybe I’m missing something.

0 Likes

I am old-fashioned and write documentation in text files. I print technical docs about two or three times a day for review (I can’t handle long on-screen reading sessions)

So I suppose I am a minority user, but using a plugin or copy-paste to another editor seems a bit silly for such a fundamental feature.

I wonder if there’s enough functionality exposed to write a plugin to do direct printing?

0 Likes

Give Export HTML plugin a try, I pretty sure is good enough for 99% of people (the remaining must use another editor).

You can use a keybinding for printing.
This means that:
-You only have to hit your keybinding to launch your browser and open the printing setup window.
-Choose your printer settings and click OK.
-Close the browser.

So compared to another editor with builtin printing feature, you only have one more step (closing the browser), not a big deal when using two or three times a day.

0 Likes

I must be the 1% :smiley:

Because when I do “Export HTML | Show Export menu | Browser print: Color”, my html editor starts up (NVu)

Without having looked at the source code… I suppose the plugin requires “htm(l)” file types to be associated with a browser, which is a no-go for me. Is there a way to say which process to start?

Note: I used github.com/facelessuser/ExportHtml - maybe there is an alternative?

0 Likes

[quote=“qgates”]A simple solution is to use the Export HTML plugin together with your browser. Apart from simple, it’s also pretty darned flexible, because once your printable code is in HTML/CSS you can do lots with it in before printing (ie. on the fly styling of fonts, colours, spacing, pagination, etc.).
For the above reason I really don’t understand why people are so hung up on printing. Maybe I’m missing something.[/quote]

I completely agree.
Futhermore, adding that I seldom print my code (or anything) …this is really a non-issue to me.

0 Likes