Sublime Forum

You can teach an old dog new tricks! (Emacs user experience)

I’ve been an Emacs user for over 20 years but I think you have brought me into the 21st century! :astonished: Here is just some feedback for the next person who searches for Emacs :bulb:

I realized that the past few weeks since trying Sublime (and buying license), I’ve been been launching Emacs hardly at all. I’ve always gravitated toward editors which offer emacs keybindings. a.k.a GNU Readline, the same keybindings that the Bash shell and a ton of other unix and OS X apps have!

So the sublemacspro package is a must-have for anyone wanting a nice set of keybindings, or specifically coming from Emacs
https://forum.sublimetext.com/t/emacs-key-binding-support/5305/4&hilit=emacs#p44228
Honestly, I would kinda expect for this to be a core feature not in a package. Vintage mode is only for Vi users from what I gather? Biased!

In my Key Bindings - User, I override the following settings from sublemacspro. When word-wrap is enabled, I really want hardbol and hardeol. I totally though this was a Sublime bug at first, but like most things with Sublime it’s configurable:

[code] { “keys”: “ctrl+a”], “command”: “move_to”, “args”: {“to”: “hardbol”, “extend”: false} },
{ “keys”: “ctrl+e”], “command”: “move_to”, “args”: {“to”: “hardeol”, “extend”: false} },
{ “keys”: “ctrl+e”], “command”: “move_to”, “args”: {“to”: “hardeol”, “extend”: true}, “context”:

{ "key": "sbp_emacs_has_mark", "operator": "equal", "operand": true }
   ]
}

[/code]
I thought the default scroll bar behavior was kind of bizarre too so I found this Preferences setting:

"scroll_past_end": false

Various stuff I appreciate about Sublime:
-It obviously doesn’t implement every feature possible, but the things that are implemented are top knotch
-The text rendering, coloring, selecting, scrolling is just perfect, on Mac and Win (haven’t tried Linux yet)
-The tabs are beautiful. I love how you can split the window up in rows or columns and drag and drop tabs around even between windows. Lots of editors dont even allow splitting of the Window. Yay I will never have to type C-x 2, C-x C-b, C-x o , etc. again

• The projects + workspaces facility, while confusing at first, does seem very useful.
  • GoTo anything. duh!
  • The symbols and tagging seems very useful too, although I haven’t got into it very much
  • Sublime “feels” really good. Only when you spend 6-12 hours a day writing code can you really get into how an editor feels. And that’s hard to put into words!
0 Likes

Hey,

one addition to using sublemacspro: Basically you can use ctrl+x 2 and ctrl-x 3 to create window groups and ctrl-x o to navigate between them. This was a nice patch that was provided by dustym on github. If you feel you’re missing some features from Emacs, just drop me a line and I can see what to do about this.

Thanks for using sublemacspro.

Martin

0 Likes

Thanks for the tip Martin! I haven’t really figured out how to use window groups yet. :confused:

0 Likes

awsome. I had one “hop” more to sublime. I used komodo inbetween, switching from emacs.
lets get this thread alive:

when in search panel i added this key bindings to leave the panel on navigation commands

[code] // close search when navigation commands
{ “keys”: “ctrl+a”], “command”: “hide_panel”, “context”:

{ "key": "panel_visible", "operator": "equal", "operand": true }
]

},
{ “keys”: “ctrl+e”], “command”: “hide_panel”, “context”:

{ "key": "panel_visible", "operator": "equal", "operand": true }
]

},
[/code]

unfortunately that closes the console as well because it is not determinable if the panel_visible is a search panel.
panel_visible does only return true (in my oppinion this could return the name of the current visible panel)

i added

{ "keys": "alt+period", "enter"], "command": "goto_python_definition"},

to have “jump to definition” on C-. RET

0 Likes