Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Sublime Text 3 Beta

Re: Sublime Text 3 Beta

Postby wbond on Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:35 pm

marcuso wrote:As it stands I'm forced to evaluate whether this particular build "SublimeText 2.0.1 build 2217" will meet my needs exactly as is, bugs and all - my $70 does not subscribe me to a living project that has the potential to improve and evolve.

That's a shame.

All licenses purchased from the ST3 beta announcement onward are valid for ST3 and ST2, as I understand it. See http://www.sublimetext.com/blog/article ... ext-3-beta and http://www.sublimetext.com/sales_faq for confirmation of this.
wbond

Postby marcuso on Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:51 pm

Ok, that's a bit better - I'll be able to get 3.0 when it's eventually released

So, people who've purchased "recently" are only $4 worse off than me ($15 upgrade price minus $11 price increase that they didn't have to pay)

I think I'll get my wallet out, purchase and then gleefully cackle at what I'm going to spend that $4 on ))
marcuso

Postby sfk on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:12 pm

Tried ST3 tarball on Ubuntu but Go To Definition menu inactive (PHP project), is that a bug or not implemented yet for Linux/Ubuntu?
Thanks for you work
sfk

Postby cisco88 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:08 am

I little question.
I bought yesterday a license for this awesome software.
When 3.0 will come out my license'll be valid for that one too??

Thanks and keep up with your splendid code!
cisco88

Postby quarnster on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:56 am

cisco88 wrote:I little question.
I bought yesterday a license for this awesome software.
When 3.0 will come out my license'll be valid for that one too??

Thanks and keep up with your splendid code!

Yes. Quoting http://www.sublimetext.com/sales_faq:
Upgrade Policy
A license is valid for Sublime Text 3, and includes all point updates, as well as access to prior versions (e.g., Sublime Text 2). Future major versions, such as Sublime Text 4, will be a paid upgrade.
quarnster

Postby hansifer on Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:27 pm

I think it's pretty clear that ST3 is an artificial major version cutover (on an otherwise continuous development timeline) designed to generate more revenue. You'd have to be pretty naive not to see it.

That said, I don't begrudge someone asking for compensation for the fruit of their labor. Developing software is a much more expensive effort than most realize. Furthermore, Jon is under no moral obligation to accommodate anyone else's ideas about what they feel entitled to; he can set the price of his product wherever he likes. If you don't think it's worth it, buy a competing product instead. It's a free market. No need to get emotional.

That said, I do want to throw my own 2c in: I now have a very different picture of what I thought I was buying into when I spent $60 on ST2. I now know that at this pace, ST won't fully reach its promise of a full-featured, reasonably bug free code editor for another 3 or 4 versions at least, and I personally don't think that's worth $180 or more all told. Too many of the features in the final version of ST2 - albeit AWESOME features in part - are simply half-baked, and the feature set is far from comprehensive. I'll check back in after a few years and let the early adopters fund the development in the meantime.
hansifer

Postby franck on Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:40 am

hansifer wrote:... I'll check back in after a few years and let the early adopters fund the development in the meantime.

if everyone was thinking like you, there wouldn't have Sublime Text at all. I know, st is not perfect, but for a one man program, it's fucking awesome! It make me more productive on every work day than any other editor i've tried!

my own 2c
franck

Postby hansifer on Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:58 am

If everyone was thinking like you, there wouldn't have Sublime Text at all.

Agreed.

I know, st is not perfect, but for a one man program, it's fucking awesome!

Agreed. But for a $60 program, it's not quite as fucking awesome as I hoped it would be.
hansifer

Postby LPGhatguy on Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:51 pm

hansifer wrote:I think it's pretty clear that ST3 is an artificial major version cutover (on an otherwise continuous development timeline) designed to generate more revenue. You'd have to be pretty naive not to see it.

It's a move to Python 3 for one, which is kind of a large improvements. The plugin system is much nicer now and ST2 plugins don't work anymore.
LPGhatguy

Postby sharshenov on Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:41 am

There is a small bug I met:
Closing current project via command console is not the same as closing project with menu item. Actually when I close project with menu item "Project -> Close project" it works well. But in case when "Ctrl+Shift+p -> project close" project is not closing. Just all dirs become removed, but project stays active.
sharshenov

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion