Sublime Forum

Sublime Text 3 Beta

I little question.
I bought yesterday a license for this awesome software.
When 3.0 will come out my license’ll be valid for that one too??

Thanks and keep up with your splendid code!

0 Likes

[quote=“cisco88”]I little question.
I bought yesterday a license for this awesome software.
When 3.0 will come out my license’ll be valid for that one too??

Thanks and keep up with your splendid code![/quote]

Yes. Quoting sublimetext.com/sales_faq:

[quote]Upgrade Policy
A license is valid for Sublime Text 3, and includes all point updates, as well as access to prior versions (e.g., Sublime Text 2). Future major versions, such as Sublime Text 4, will be a paid upgrade.[/quote]

0 Likes

I think it’s pretty clear that ST3 is an artificial major version cutover (on an otherwise continuous development timeline) designed to generate more revenue. You’d have to be pretty naive not to see it.

That said, I don’t begrudge someone asking for compensation for the fruit of their labor. Developing software is a much more expensive effort than most realize. Furthermore, Jon is under no moral obligation to accommodate anyone else’s ideas about what they feel entitled to; he can set the price of his product wherever he likes. If you don’t think it’s worth it, buy a competing product instead. It’s a free market. No need to get emotional.

That said, I do want to throw my own 2c in: I now have a very different picture of what I thought I was buying into when I spent $60 on ST2. I now know that at this pace, ST won’t fully reach its promise of a full-featured, reasonably bug free code editor for another 3 or 4 versions at least, and I personally don’t think that’s worth $180 or more all told. Too many of the features in the final version of ST2 - albeit AWESOME features in part - are simply half-baked, and the feature set is far from comprehensive. I’ll check back in after a few years and let the early adopters fund the development in the meantime.

0 Likes

if everyone was thinking like you, there wouldn’t have Sublime Text at all. I know, st is not perfect, but for a one man program, it’s fucking awesome! It make me more productive on every work day than any other editor i’ve tried!

my own 2c

0 Likes

Agreed.

Agreed. But for a $60 program, it’s not quite as fucking awesome as I hoped it would be.

0 Likes

It’s a move to Python 3 for one, which is kind of a large improvements. The plugin system is much nicer now and ST2 plugins don’t work anymore.

0 Likes

There is a small bug I met:
Closing current project via command console is not the same as closing project with menu item. Actually when I close project with menu item “Project -> Close project” it works well. But in case when “Ctrl+Shift+p -> project close” project is not closing. Just all dirs become removed, but project stays active.

0 Likes

is this the thread for issues / and suggestions?

I would love to have a “context” matching in completions (like in key bindings). That would allow to have much more specific and concrete completions in some situations.

imagine:

import your-always-used-import

where context could be: preceeding_text matches “import”

etc

0 Likes

The release of the ST3 beta has shown exactly what this is about - it’s mostly about money and nothing else.

Had it been about doing something for all those customers who thought they’re paying for something which was going to receive bug fixes, we’d have received updates beyond the 2.01 update released last year.

The forums are filled with a lot of bugs and defects which are clearly not caused by the machines of the customers or by their software.

I really don’t understand why things were done this way. It’s a very sneaky way to handle things. Furthermore, since ST3 doesn’t bring changes which are as important as the upgrade from ST to ST2, it looks a lot like a forced major version. It’s pretty much what the big companies do with a lot of software suites - making a few bug fixes and slapping on a label with a new major version to get more money and to avoid offering any further support for the new version (oh, we’re sorry, version 2012 isn’t supported any more, buy the upgrade to version 2013).

Either way, giving access to current customers to the ST3 beta and not providing any further updates to ST2 is sending a really clear message: if you want bug fixes, always pay up for the latest version; otherwise you’ll have to stick with what you’ve got.

I don’t know what other people want, but I want STABLE software which actually receives updates. I don’t give a rat’s ass that ST3 is now using Python 3, there will always be a newer and better thing to use in any software project for any purpose. So that means it’s OK to build a new ST, but bug fixes made for ST3 and future versions must also go into the stable ST.

I really hope people who don’t own and haven’t paid for ST already will really think about this before they pay for ST and before switching to it. At least that will save them from the frustration of seeing issues upon issues which don’t get fixed.

0 Likes

[quote=“jps”]

The first version of Sublime Text 2 was available to registered users on September 17, 2010, with the most recent build being on September 18, 2012. 2 years of continuous updates is a massive amount. In reality, counting should start from January 18, 2008, as everyone who purchased then received updates until September 2012, four and a half years later.[/quote]

Read this davejones.

0 Likes

[quote=“tito”]

The first version of Sublime Text 2 was available to registered users on September 17, 2010, with the most recent build being on September 18, 2012. 2 years of continuous updates is a massive amount. In reality, counting should start from January 18, 2008, as everyone who purchased then received updates until September 2012, four and a half years later.

Read this davejones.[/quote]

That’s absolutely fascinating. I still didn’t get ANY ANSWER from jps.

0 Likes

[quote][size=200]jps wrote:[/size]
The first version of Sublime Text 2 was available to registered users on September 17, 2010, with the most recent build being on September 18, 2012. 2 years of continuous updates is a massive amount. In reality, counting should start from January 18, 2008, as everyone who purchased then received updates until September 2012, four and a half years later.
[/quote]

There was at least ten threads with similar questions like yours. Jon replied first time. Do you really expecting to get same response every single time?

0 Likes

[quote=“iamntz”]

There was at least ten threads with similar questions like yours. Jon replied first time. Do you really expecting to get same response every single time?[/quote]

I don’t appreciate your tone at all.

Expecting an answer from him isn’t such a big deal, I REALLY want him to tell me personally why he’s not providing any more updates.

That crappy maintenance policy should be written down on the page where people pay for ST2 “warning: you won’t get tech support and I’ll ignore you on the forums if you’re going to say you’re not happy about this”.

Since I bought ST2 last year, I’ve only received 1 or 2 beta updates and 2 stable builds. Don’t tell me to use the unstable and backwards incompatible ST3 beta…

0 Likes

davejones, I’m not sure what kind of an answer you want from jps? You want him to support st2 with updates for more than 2 years and not do any work on new versions? Have you tried the dev builds of st2 to see if they fix the issues you’ve had? Are you expecting a single man dev shop to personally email you to answer your questions? If the numbers of registered users are even a 10th of the estimates I’ve seen people throw around on the forums, he could spend his entire day doing that and never actually getting any dev work done. I’m not a moderator here, so I have absolutely no power, but I have no problem stepping up and saying that I think you’re out of line. You are welcome to do whatever you want with your own money, but I think it’s a little unkind of you to continue to come into these forums and rag on JPS and Sublime Text. You’ve expressed your opinion, aired your grievances. Continuing to clutter these threads with your negative attitude smacks of trollishness.

0 Likes

[quote=“davejones”]
Expecting an answer from him isn’t such a big deal, I REALLY want him to tell me personally why he’s not providing any more updates.

That crappy maintenance policy should be written down on the page where people pay for ST2 “warning: you won’t get tech support and I’ll ignore you on the forums if you’re going to say you’re not happy about this”.

Since I bought ST2 last year, I’ve only received 1 or 2 beta updates and 2 stable builds. Don’t tell me to use the unstable and backwards incompatible ST3 beta…[/quote]

Let me get this straight. You expect a personalized email from JPS outlining his development plan for sublime. In addition, you want to be able to ignore the fact that st2 was released for a year or 2 before you purchased it and expect that bug fixes only count from the time that you purchased sublime. Wow, just… wow.

The whole point of forums is so that questions can be answered ONCE and then people can search them for answers later. That is why the earlier poster quoted JPS.

Let’s talk turkey for a minute. You’ve received 1 or 2 beta updates and 2 stable builds in a single YEAR of use. Tell me, How many other dev tools update that often? I haven’t seen that many updates to Visual Studio in that time. In fact, once they announced VS2012, I don’t think I ever saw an update to VS 2010. Why is it that you think JPS should do more than an entire team at Microsoft?

0 Likes

You want him to support st2 with updates for more than 2 years and not do any work on new versions?

He works on the new ST and he’s made bug fixes to it already. Would it be such a big deal to offer a new stable version every 2-3 months with some of those bug fixes? It’d take 3-4 hours per month.

Have you tried the dev builds of st2 to see if they fix the issues you’ve had?

Yes, they don’t fix any issue I keep running into.

I’m not a moderator here, so I have absolutely no power, but I have no problem stepping up and saying that I think you’re out of line.

That’s for the best.

I don’t know about you, but I’ve had a bunch of people jumping in and saying it’s unreasonable to expect to receive any kind of update or support and that I should just use ST3. As in don’t expect anything from the developer, just use the latest experimental and unstable stuff.
That worked wonders last year with an even less experimental version of ST.

Please don’t bother to reply. I’m not going to reply again. Thank you.

0 Likes

I thought you said that jps hadn’t responded to you!? Great news that he emailed you to inform you how much effort it would take him to make regression changes to the deprecated ST2 code base.

All sarcasm aside, none of us has any idea what effort jps puts in or how difficult and time consuming any given change would be to make. I agree that his communication skills leave something to be desired, but, as you have admitted, the editor is absolutely amazing. Significant progress is being made on the new ST3 branch and I look forward to the enhancements that will come.

0 Likes

Well, I never said that you can’t expect updates for something you’ve paid for. I have just felt that I did get support on ST2. I have seen bugs that I’ve reported get fixed in the dev builds. It is probably fair to say that some peoples issues have not been resolved. Not to excuse st2, but that’s true of just about any software on the market, and I don’t think that sublime is unique in that regard. I also never felt like the st3 licensing was a money grab. In fact, I think that JPS has done a lot to try to make it affordable to those who have already supported sublime. If it was a money grab, he’d let st2 licensee’s purchase a st3 license now. I fact, I wanted to buy an upgrade license as soon as I saw that st3 was announced, but there’s currently no way to purchase an upgrade license from st2 to st3. As of right now, JPS is actively keeping me from giving him money.

0 Likes

hi,

finally a builtin goto symbol/definition feature… codeintel was a nightmare to me and it finally made me make a step back to netbeans.

is there a way to test/trial ST3? or this a WIP? before spending 70$? :smile:

i loved ST2, if this was working as intended i wouldve already moved over…

0 Likes

Where do I submit ST3 eventual bugs?

super+alt+down doesnt work for me unless i copy the line from the default config and add it to the user config

{ “keys”: “super+alt+down”], “command”: “goto_definition” }

Could it be because there is an additional line with f12 in the default config?

0 Likes