Sublime Forum

BufferScroll

@macosxguru For typewriter scrolling I use a plugin made by some forum regulars. I just cleaned it up and pushed it to github 1 for my own use. It works fine for me but doesn’t support cloned views and so on. Maybe it will be useful to you until @tito updates BufferScroll.

Alex

0 Likes

@quodlibet, thanks for that. I am going to try it out. Thanks again.

macosxguru

0 Likes

[quote=“quodlibet”]@macosxguru For typewriter scrolling I use a plugin made by some forum regulars. I just cleaned it up and pushed it to github 1 for my own use. It works fine for me but doesn’t support cloned views and so on. Maybe it will be useful to you until @tito updates BufferScroll.

Alex[/quote]

Thanks again Alex. I installed it, and it works perfectly. Made it possible for me to switch to SublimeText 3 full time. thank you again.

macosxguru

0 Likes

Hope BufferScroll can support sublime text 3.

0 Likes

I am loving the typewriter scrolling functionality but am wondering if anyone thinks it would be even better if the user could define the location the active line would be at, perhaps through a percentage. I like the to keep my active line at about 33% down from the top of the screen.

0 Likes

That’s a really good idea : )

0 Likes

I’m happy to announce this plugin nows supports ST3 github.com/SublimeText/BufferScroll/tree/st3 The first of the serie :stuck_out_tongue:

There is some bugs, mostly present in ST2: Work in progress… have hopes.

ヘ The application does not have an event listener for when you swtich, open or close projects, and windows, then this package can’t save the data for the focused files. You will lost scroll position of last focused file. By not providing these listeners, this package has suboptimal methods for saving it’s data. Such listening change of views, focus lost, file closing, saving, etc. If you don’t hit any of these event, the package will lose the data for last focused file.

ヘ For some reason sublime API is not restoring scroll of xml/html documents, including: xml, tpl, html, xhtml See: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3503&start=20#p22324

ヘ There is no event listener for when a view is scrolled, then this package, has another suboptimal way of listening for changes of scroll, such tracking the scroll every x time.

:smile:

0 Likes

Nice, like it very much! One more issue I’m getting - when I close sublime I lose folding in files. Is that in bug list as well?
Also I’m getting following error in console, is there anything I can do to fix it?

Traceback (most recent call last): File "D:\Program Files\Sublime Text 3\Data\Installed Packages\BufferScroll.sublime-package\BufferScroll.py", line 181, in <lambda> File "D:\Program Files\Sublime Text 3\Data\Installed Packages\BufferScroll.sublime-package\BufferScroll.py", line 186, in write File "X/gzip.py", line 183, in __init__ FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'D:\\Program Files\\Sublime Text 3\\Data/Settings/BufferScroll.bin.gz'

0 Likes

Ahh, may the folder does not exists?

Please update and let me know.

0 Likes

Yep, no errors - folder and file were created. Almost perfect! :smile:

Here are steps to reproduce minor issue with folding:

1. Open file where you can add foldings
  2. Fold piece of code
  3. Save
  4. Just close sublime without closing file first
  5. Open sublime - you’ll see that foldings are not remembered

If in step 4 you close the file before closing sublime then, after sublime restart, when you open the file foldings will be in place.
Other than that it is great, thanks man!

0 Likes

Imposible to restore something if on_load is not dispatched when opening the application.
github.com/SublimeText/BufferSc … dbe251a4be

[code]+ # TODO the application is not sendinng on_load when opening a window,

• then there is this hack which will simulate on_load when you open the application

• since this is just a hack, there is a terrible noticeable delay, which just sucks, thank you.

• for view in sublime.active_window().views():
  • BufferScrollAPI.on_load(view)
    +[/code]
0 Likes

Thank you anyway for fast reaction. Working good

0 Likes

good? that’s good for you? :smiley:

0 Likes

Hi,

Is this working in ST3? Doesn’t seem to work in mine :neutral_face: Hoping for an update soon. thanks

0 Likes

Here: github.com/SublimeText/BufferScroll/tree/st3

Semi working – ST insist to restore scroll at funny positions

0 Likes

[quote=“tito”]Here: github.com/SublimeText/BufferScroll/tree/st3

Semi working – ST insist to restore scroll at funny positions[/quote]

Thanks!!!

0 Likes

tito,

Thanks for looking into this already. Now that ST3 is in open beta, I’m trying to get set up with it to write and BufferScroll is essential (I have been using it daily since you got it to its current level of functionality, all that time ago, thanks).

Now in ST3 (I’m running Win7x64, if that makes a difference) and I can get typewriter scrolling working fine, but no scroll sync. It will appear to scroll sync briefly if I erase the user settings file and throw in a fresh copy of the default settings file for the plugin, but the only file I’ve seen scroll sync even then has been the default settings file (I’ve had a long plaintext and a short plaintext file open and ready to go for testing but neither have responded), and even that behavior subsides quickly.

Seems suspicious to me, like maybe something in ST3 is changed or broken, but right now, ST3 is nearly useless (funny how the lack of your plugin cripples the whole thing for this particular user).

Any thoughts on what might be going on here? I’ve made sure to try removing the file type specific settings you made as examples in the default setting file and also leaving them be and setting scroll sync for plaintext to true. I’ve also gone in with fresh copies of the default settings, copied the whole thing over to user, then set them all to true, just in case there was some conflict. Obviously some folk have it working, and I’ve seen it fire a couple times here, so I don’t know what else I might be doing wrong.

Thanks,
Kensai

0 Likes

Alright, after much futzing around with things (basically just trying the same things over and over, restarting ST3, over and over, yada yada yada), it seems to be working properly now. For now ;-p Of course, having to be this stubborn to get a plugin to activate still seems to suggest some small incompatibility between BS and ST3 or beta bugs just on ST3s side. Here’s hoping it keeps working, because other than this little headache, ST3 is looking like even more of a hotrod than ST2 was after I’d tricked it out.

Thanks tito.

0 Likes

Kensai,

I think is not your fault, but a malfunctioning of the package. I reviewed the last days the functionality and made a little tweak to the sync scroll logic. Maybe you want to update, and let me know if still present issues. I was able to reproduce the problem at first, but not lately, so I *think *is fixed.
github.com/SublimeText/BufferScroll/tree/st3

Regards,

0 Likes

How are you guys installing this for Sublime Text 3? ST3 appears to want it’s packages as .sublime-package files and BufferScroll does not install like that when cloned from GitHub.

Are there some instructions on how to do it somewhere?

0 Likes