Sublime Forum

Options to close or edit project grayed out

I’m new to Sublime and love it–except for the fact that I have yet to figure out how to create new projects. Not sure why you make that so difficult, but anyway…I’m trying to close my current project so I can create a new one but when I open the Project menu, both “Close Project” and “Edit Project” are grayed out. How can I create a new project? I really can’t believe there’s no option for this…

0 Likes

When you open a new window, a new “project environment” is created in memory for that window automatically, but it isn’t officially a project until you save that project file to disk via “save project as”. So there is no project to edit or close until you save as a project. So if you need to close your current project (that isn’t saved to disk) simply close your window. Want to create a new project? Open a new window, drag and drop the folders you want in it, and use “save project as” to disk. As soon as a project file exists on disk, you can then use edit and close.

0 Likes

O.K. now this is getting even more confusing. I do have two files on disk for my project pindelible, once called “pindelible.sublime-project” and the other called “pindelible.sublime-workspace” and when I go to Project > Recent Projects it shows “pindelible.sublime-project” however when I open that I get a new empty window, somehow I don’t seem to be working in that project.

Now, somehow I lost the window I was working in but I can open that empty window by picking “pindelible.sublime-project” from Recent Projects. I re-added the folder I was working in, but there was no way to save the project! I had to choose “save project as” then pick the “pindelible.sublime-project” file I had opened and tell it to overwrite the existing file. How do I save a project?

0 Likes

I’m having same issues. Are you using Sublime text 3? Could be a bug.

Update, tested with fresh install of Sublime 3 without any plugins - same issues. BUT when I added more then 1 projects it started to work just fine. Hope it will help :smile:.

0 Likes

Same for me. I open a project and can’t close it again.

OSX 3066

0 Likes

My solution was to use “Switch Project” and then the "Close Project option became available. (I guess maybe this means you have to have at least 2 projects? But I guess you could save a temporary one and delete it later.)

0 Likes

This is an old post but still a bug with Sublime text 3
worked 100% in st2
but in osx when double click to open project, it loads all files but close project is greyed out.
Only when open project from latest menu or Open project… it will work.

Please fix

project does load correctly tough…

0 Likes

You can close a project ONLY if you open the project from Project > Open Project. If you do not have a sublime-project file in your folder, here’s how to create one. Drag your folder onto Sublime Text interface to load and go to Project > Save Project As. Save the project in the same folder. Next time you open a project, use Project > Open Project and choose that sublime-project file you created. If you drag the folder onto the interface by mistake, save the project again with the same name. You will be able to close the project.

0 Likes