Sublime Forum

Catching small errors in Sublime Text?

Hello,

I am a novice programmer and the concept of having one application to manage multiple languages is very appealing. However, I would like IDE functionality in Sublime Text. I have tried SublimeLinter, but it seems to overlook small errors I often make.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Aaron

0 Likes

What kind of small errors are you referring to?

0 Likes

Anything from forgetting a semi-colon to misspelling a reserved word.

0 Likes

SublimeLinter should notify you of things like missed semi colons. Syntax highlighting should help with spelling of reserved words. What language are you using to learn? Note that some of SublimeLinters linters require additional setup before they run properly.

0 Likes

Well I’m having some difficulty setting it up for Java and C++ (so suggestions regarding that setup would be appreciated). And in retrospect, maybe my last comment was not representative of my true concern. I think my main concern might actually be from switching from a powerful IDE, Eclipse, to Sublime Text. I haven’t been able to get SublimeLinter working with Java, but from using it with Ruby, it looks like SublimeLinter won’t be as helpful in catching errors a IDE like Eclipse does. Leading to me wonder why SublimeText has been recommended to me by so many people over using an IDE.

0 Likes

You may want to take a look at the README on the github page (github.com/SublimeLinter/SublimeLinter). There is a for setting up the java linter. I believe it the java linter will give information about the same errors as Eclipse. I’ve never used the c++ linter before so I can’t give to much help for that one, but there are some c++ specific notes for it. One of the major benefits ST has over a full IDE like Eclipse is speed. However, the cost of that is a lot less built in functionality. For example, an IDE may auto import classes, whereas a text editor wouldn’t. With regards to learning, using a text editor forces you to learn/know/understand what you are doing. With an IDE, a lot of this work can be hidden behind the scenes, so you don’t really know how something is happening. Though this is convenient, I think there is some value in learning exactly what is going on. Of course, you can learn these types of things while using an IDE too, but you may be less inclined to since an IDE “just does it” Hopefully some other people while have time to give some input on these issues. Of course, I’m sure people have posted about such things, just would take some web searching.

0 Likes

Thank you for your responses. I will try to get the linters working and keeping in Sublime Text :smile:

0 Likes

Hey,
I realize it’s been over a week since this went up, but if you’re still struggling with SublimeLinter, I’ve written a java-specific replacement. You can get it here:
github.com/justinfoote/SublimePMD

Also, I’ve had a lot of luck using SublimeJava (here: github.com/quarnster/SublimeJava). It’s a little buggy, at least for me, and the autocomplete is prettymuch useless for the way I code, but the auto import is really useful.

Between those two things, I’m really almost never missing eclipse. Although even with them, sublime is not an IDE. Eclipse does some cool things, if you have the patience to deal with its project setup and preferences.

0 Likes