Sublime Forum

Pane indication and block cursor

I’m finding it a bit annoying that it’s difficult to see which pane one’s editing. I wonder if Jon would dream up a nice way to make it clear.

One possibility would be a block cursor option, combined with the various blinking styles I think this would be very nice. It’s also far more visible than the thin caret or underline cursor, and would help toward seeing “where you are”. Heck, I’d love a block cursor anyway, but I am regularly losing which pane I’m editing, especially when alt+tabbing away and back; it’s annoying me more and more lately.

ps. I know there are some plugins that attempt a block cursor, but I think a “proper” native cursor would be a better option all round.

:smile:

0 Likes

block cursor has been requested multiple times before and of all the possible additions to sublime text this one seems trivial to accomplish yet it has never been implemented…

Neither have virtual spaces (somewhat less trivial, somewhat equally desireable!)

0 Likes

Yea, virtual space is one of my regular asks. I really miss it from my Brief days. But this losing pane I’m in thing is getting to be a pain, no pun intended :wink:

0 Likes

which reminds me, cursor style wide seems to mean no wider than any other style… meant to ping this one a few days ago but forgot, been working 80 ours a week on a horrendous pic24 project (its the pic that makes it horrendous, not my code :smile:

0 Likes

@mark4… yes I noticed that too. Given the current cursor styles and behaviour, I’m sure it would be trivial coding for Jon to add a block cursor supporting the various (nice) sublime blinking options.

I’ve probably been getting on for over 80h pw over the last 3 weeks coding in java (android), php, jquery/js and python. Whether my code is horrid or not is probably a subjective assessment as I’m suffering somewhat with cabin fever, but two things that repeatedly irk me are:

1. constantly forgetting feature representations in particular languages, like “for…in” vs. for “x:y”, and default params for functions to name two, and
  2. All the fiddly differences in string processing APIs between all these platforms!

Those and sublime’s cmdline launch options, not being able to see where I am in sublime and no virtual space!

I’ll get my coat… :wink:

0 Likes