Sublime Forum

Following symbolic links—a repeat of a plea

I already posted this, but I think it may have become buried over time.

The fact that ST3 ignores symlinks by default is quite inconvenient for us. We use symlinks a lot to share stuff between git projects. In the old days, I could do “subl .” and edit the project. Now I have to manually create a sublime project file, edit it to enable symlinks, and thereafter open the project, and not the directory.

So all I’m asking for is a minor change. As well as per project, could we also have a global “follow symlinks” setting. It can default to false, but if true it does what ST2 did.

Cheers

Dave Thomas
@pragdave

0 Likes

I’d like to see this too.

I use Sublime mostly without project files, often just treating directories as the “project”. Symlinks are quite common within many of the directories I work in, and it would be unpleasant to have to litter filesystems with project files just to get access to the files within symlinked directories.

It also feels a little like it’s broken. I’d expect anything symlinked to “just work” with whatever I’m throwing it into, unless there were specific security considerations. So I’d probably vote for it being on by default, with a conscious decision need to disable it. However I’d be happy with it being an option so I didn’t have to go back to ST2 as I’d cry if I lost access to “Goto Definition…” :smile:

0 Likes

Awesome, this is back in for build 3033 of the beta. Thank you! :smile:

0 Likes