Sublime Forum

Character classes other than "word_separators"

Iā€™m using ST3 for the first time for serious work programming in C++ and python for from 8 to ungodly numbers of hours per day for my job. And some fairly minor things are driving me crazy about it, and Iā€™m trying to figure out ways to address them. The main thing currently is that the ā€œword_separatorsā€ setting seems to control both:

1. What gets selected when I double click some text
  2. How the cursor moves when jumping through text by word (like super+left/right)

For example, when I double click on a function name, I donā€™t want the () chars to be included. To make that happen I have to put them in ā€œword_separatorsā€. But then when I jump around by words, the cursor stops on the () chars.

Is there a way to have this work the way I prefer? If not directly, can this be done via plugins in a hopefully straightforward non-hacky way?

Oh, I should add that I REALLY LIKE ST! It has a wonderfully smooth feel when using it, with a sense of power about it that I really look forward to fully exploiting.

0 Likes

I programmed my own custom replacement of Ctrl+left/right. You can modify the plugin to achieve the exact kind of cursor jumping behavior you might need.
move_to_contigboundary - Move to Contiguous Boundary

Also check out:
Expand Selection to Whitespace

0 Likes

Thank you, I now have cursor word movement just how I like it! :smiley:

0 Likes