Sublime Forum

Slow performance in FC17 on Linux

I recently upgraded from FC16 to FC17 and my Sublime Text2 installation suddenly became slow, sluggish, and unresponsive.

The cursor cannot keep up with real time. Pressing CTRL+Z does nothing sometimes.

I removed all my plugins and reset Sublime back to factory defaults. But the problems have crept back, though not quite as severe.

0 Likes

Now sublime text is crashing randomly. I tried running it from the command prompt, hoping for some useful debug output. But all it says is “segmentation fault”.

So I am going to try the beta release of version 3 and see if my problems go away: sublimetext.com/3

– UPDATE –

ST3 is missing lot of packages, etc that I take for granted, so I am back to ST2. However, I am going to try the dev build to see if it helps: sublimetext.com/dev

0 Likes

— UPDATE #2

The dev release of ST2 wasn’t any better and I went back to ST3 (again), which still sucked big time. For a while, I did my development on a MacBook, but I missed my dual monitor setup in Linux.

I ended up ditching Gnome3 desktop and using XFCE instead. It is a little too early to tell, but this seems to have made a big improvement. I have experienced one lockup with ST3 in which I couldn’t open additional files. I was able to finish editing the open files, close ST3, and reload it OK.

In conclusion, I believe that Gnome3 was contributing to the bad performance in ST2 and ST3. Switching to XFCE seems to have fixed this issue.

0 Likes