Sublime Forum

Would Google Native Client allow a port of ST2 for ChromeOS?

Excuse my naivety but could Google Native Client be used to create a port of ST2 for ChromeOS?

developers.google.com/native-client/overview

From my understanding it could, my next question is would this be something people would like to see?

0 Likes

Sublime Text for Chrome OS + google drive would be amazing.

0 Likes

[quote=“Phunky”]Excuse my naivety but could Google Native Client be used to create a port of ST2 for ChromeOS?

developers.google.com/native-client/overview

From my understanding it could, my next question is would this be something people would like to see?[/quote]

The answers are actually fairly simple: it’s almost definitely doable given enough effort and chances are no significant number of people would use it (because no significant number of people even use Chrome OS), so most likely people wouldn’t want to see it except as a novelty. The problem is mainly that Chrome OS is mostly useless as a programmer’s OS — its market is tiny and it’s not particularly friendly to programmers in the first place (no shell, no compilers, no common tools, etc.), so there’s little reason to actually do this — the cost in time and effort that would be better put towards the existing ports of ST is not worth it.

It’d basically only be useful for web developers who don’t care about anything but Chrome OS, better known as one segment of humans that should be beaten with sticks, and people who edit things over ssh, who are probably already using vim and don’t care about ST (or emacs, if you’re the sick and twisted sort of person [though not part of the group of people who should be beaten with sticks]).

0 Likes

Having ST in the cloud would rock. Imagine replacing all text fields you encounter on a daily basis on the web with the full features of ST. (Though a hacky thirdparty plugin might enable that for computers where ST is available locally).

On a related note Epic Games and Mozilla just ported Unreal Engine to asm.js, so no need for Native Client these days.

0 Likes