Sublime Forum

Absolutely fundamental question

my graphic design daughter recommended that i try sublime text 2 for HTML coding, but in experimenting with it i made everything but the top and bottom little grey lines (the program and status lines) disappear…so how do i get some kind of menu?

the documentation needs a section for really fundamental questions like this (or did i miss it?)…

0 Likes

I’m slightly confused by your description. Can you post a screenshot of it?

0 Likes

[quote=“ldecola”]my graphic design daughter recommended that i try sublime text 2 for HTML coding, but in experimenting with it i made everything but the top and bottom little grey lines (the program and status lines) disappear…so how do i get some kind of menu?

the documentation needs a section for really fundamental questions like this (or did i miss it?)…[/quote]

Try with this:

• Hit: CTRL+Shift+P
  • Type: menu
  • If you see an item called, “View: Toggle menu” just select it and hit Enter.

You should have your menu back.

0 Likes

that works - but where is something as cryptic as CTRL+Shift+P documented…is there a tutorial?

thanks for your patience!

0 Likes

Hah! It’s documented in the tools menu.
I think you can also just press and release the “alt” key, though, to get the menu back in most applications (I’m assuming you’re running on Windows) or move the mouse to the top of the screen (Mac OS).

0 Likes

[quote=“ldecola”]that works - but where is something as cryptic as CTRL+Shift+P documented…is there a tutorial?

thanks for your patience![/quote]

It’s probably worthwhile to go through some of these videos since you are just getting started with/testing ST.

tutsplus.com/course/improve-wor … me-text-2/

0 Likes

as an educator of 50 years experience, by ‘tutorial’ i mean a document or video that begins with the basics. R’s http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-intro.html is a reasonable example. the tutsplus video turned me off because it begins with the fancy stuff. I would start by showing the viewer how to edit a simple text file, and then proceed to the simplest features, then saving, etc.

maybe i’m hard on Jeffrey, after all, he calls it a ‘course’ and not a tutorial… perhaps O’Reilly will come out with a book.

but thanks for your help - I’ll keep using it for my (simple) HTML coding…and hope i don’t hit any more wrong buttons!

0 Likes

[quote=“ldecola”]as an educator of 50 years experience, by ‘tutorial’ i mean a document or video that begins with the basics. R’s http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-intro.html is a reasonable example. the tutsplus video turned me off because it begins with the fancy stuff. I would start by showing the viewer how to edit a simple text file, and then proceed to the simplest features, then saving, etc.

maybe i’m hard on Jeffrey, after all, he calls it a ‘course’ and not a tutorial… perhaps O’Reilly will come out with a book.

but thanks for your help - I’ll keep using it for my (simple) HTML coding…and hope i don’t hit any more wrong buttons![/quote]

The assumption is probably that people that want to use an advanced programmers editor like Sublime Text do not need hand-holding on things like typing, opening, saving, and such.

0 Likes

[quote=“ldecola”]as an educator of 50 years experience, by ‘tutorial’ i mean a document or video that begins with the basics. R’s http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-intro.html is a reasonable example. the tutsplus video turned me off because it begins with the fancy stuff. I would start by showing the viewer how to edit a simple text file, and then proceed to the simplest features, then saving, etc.

but thanks for your help - I’ll keep using it for my (simple) HTML coding…and hope i don’t hit any more wrong buttons![/quote]

such a ‘tutorial’ would bore all the people that know how to use a text editor :wink:
and people that don’t know (and how should they as this stuff wasn’t educated 50 years ago) need some kind of basic computer control course. Things like opening and savings files are nearly the same for all kinds of editors, would be stupid if every editing program has those things documented.

0 Likes

Hi!
I am just new to Sublime Text who wishes to switch from Dreamweaver CS4. Due to the fact that i’m familiar with WYSIWYG software, I find it hard using ST because it doesn’t provide enough thigs I need in autocompletion.
To be precise, how do I get css properties just like Dreamweaver by simply typing the first few letters? Sublime seems to provide very little amount compared to Dreamweaver and I would also want to be able to get list of the available fonts in my computer when using something like
CODE: SELECT ALL
font:
in CSS.

Thanks

0 Likes

so far i’m using sublime for simple HTML coding and like it, but i’m still curious if there’s anything like a basic document or tutorial that might get me a started?

0 Likes

I was browsing around and came across a link to this book (samples.leanpub.com/sublime-prod … sample.pdf.

0 Likes

like what (the hell!) happened when i hit F9? looks like the program sorted my code - although Notebook shows it ok, sublime now only shows the sorted lines - how do i get back to the original view!

THIS is what i mean by a tutorial, or simple list of commands…!

0 Likes

Wow, hit random keys much? Looking at the menus, I see that f9 sorts the lines in file (under the edit menu). As long as you haven’t saved the file in this state, there are 2 ways to proceed.

1. Undo (ctrl+z by default, under the edit menu)
  2. Close the file without saving and re-open it.

The reason why there is no tutorial covering this topic is because Undo is a feature common to just about every application used to edit text in one way or another. From Word Processors to spreadsheets to text boxes in browsers, if you hit ctrl+z, chances are it will undo the most recent edit. Undo functionality has been a part of programs for 20+ years. It’s assumed that if you are using a programmers text editor that you are familiar with the basics of editing text on a computer.

For more advanced topics, you should know that most of the support for Sublime Text comes from the community. But, the most basic way to learn keyboard shortcuts for things in any editor is to simply take the time to go through the menus of the application. That is how I determined what f9 did, and trying it out, I noticed that it put my window in a “dirty” state, meaning that the contents of the window had been changed, but not saved. This is indicated by the “x” in the buffer tab being replaced by a filled in circle. In general, if an action does this, it can be undone with the undo function.

For basic editing, you probably just want to stick with the things that are in the file, edit, and find menus. Once you are comfortable with most of the topics in those menus, move on to the selection menu.

0 Likes