Sublime Forum

Stop Goto Anything loading pages in BG

I have alot of files in my project so Goto Anything has become quite slow. Is there a way to stop it loading files in the background as I type?

0 Likes

How big is big?
How slow is slow?

I have projects with many thousands of files and millions of ‘words’ and GTA produces no lag worthy of the name for me in ST3.
Even in ST2 which is noticeably slower it is not horrible.
This is on a tired old Core 2 Duo so it’s not down to my machine being a performance beast.

Why I am asking is to pin down whether GTA is the problem here or if it is something else. Few things are more annoying than solving the wrong problem.

On your specific question I am not aware of any option to change GTA behaviour in the way you suggest.

0 Likes

[quote=“duncan”]How big is big?
How slow is slow?
[/quote]

Not super slow but still slow - there’s only a few hundred files in my project but there’s a noticeable lag as I type - perhaps 1/10th of a second per char? It can reach well over a second of lag if I type 15 chars for the chars to appear.

I have no idea how I’d time it. I can type and the text will lag way behind. I’m not on a slow machine either - a 2012 model macbook pro.

[quote=“duncan”]How big is big?
On your specific question I am not aware of any option to change GTA behaviour in the way you suggest.[/quote]

Thanks for answering the question. That’s a shame.

It would be really great if when touch typing it only loaded in the background if there was a small break in keypresses - the same way most autocomplete fields work on the web. Would definately speed things up.

Also I should have mentioned I’m on ST2

0 Likes

I wasn’t suggesting timing things but your description of 1/10th of a second does give a clearer picture of what is happening.

It does seem odd since I don’t get that experience on my much slower machine, even on ST2.

I can sometimes out-type the display of the characters but once I pause the full string and the results flicks up in about 1/10 second after the last key press which is effectively the behaviour I think you are looking for from the ‘wait to load results’ (although by a less elegant path). It never gets a long way behind me.

Things get much clunkier if I am deleting characters from the search string.

But maybe you are a better typist and a bit more fussy than I am and that is no bad thing.
Expecting the best is how things get made better.

If you have a ST2 licence you might want to give the ST3 beta a try. Speeding up things like GTA is a big part of what ST3 is about and it is noticeably faster in my experience.

0 Likes

Just picked up a ST licence. ST3 works instantly. Thanks for the advice :smile:

0 Likes