Sublime Forum

(osx|windows|linux) Color Scheme Editor (BETA)

I like the keyboard ideas for fontstyle, and I like the idea of copying and pasting between like columns. Could maybe even create a “duplicate” command to duplicate a row (style settings only; global can’t have rows with the same name). I like the keyboard idea enough I might look into some of this in the next couple of days. Maybe I can get it into the next release and hopefully it will finally be bug free…we shall see :smile:.

0 Likes

0.0.7 is posted. You should up install both halves to get all of the features and fixes:

Binary:
-Fix live save thread issue when live save is disabled
-Add “Open” menu option to open a different theme from the editor when a theme is already loaded
-ESC now closes settings dialogs in windows
-disallow column selecting
-Small fix for font stye updating
-Shortcuts “B”, “I”, and “U” can be used on a style settings row to change the the font style

Plugin:
-Direct edit is now a global setting instead of a command setting
-Scan for themes to allow for opening and editing any installed theme (take into consideration of packages overriding other packages)
-Scan for themes to allow for simply setting any installed theme without opening the editor (take into consideration of packages overriding other packages)
-Update command palette commands

Hopefully the major bugs are fixed and I can focus on getting Linux going. I will probably add a couple more things after Linux is working…assuming I get Linux working :smile:.

0 Likes

A file with a big pile of scopes is simple to put together, but I can only half see how this would work. First off, what format would you like this in?

Also:

• Do you have any thoughts on how to handle the common pattern “X, punctuation.definition.X” (as in “comment, punctuation.definition.comment”)? Do you want these listed as one or two scopes?

• Do you want generic scopes (“entity”), to be separated from syntax-specific ("entity.name.section.markdown ") or sublime-specific (“entity.name.filename.find-in-files”)?

Or do you want a flat file with everything* in it?

• By everything I don’t mean every scope for every syntax. That would be madness :smile:

Let me know what would make sense for you and I’ll take a stab at it.

Cheers,
Alex

0 Likes

Took a stab at it, anyway: gist.github.com/alehandrof/5361546

I haven’t cleaned the file and I can already see problems with it, but I thought it might be useful to have something concrete to talk about.

0 Likes

@quodlibet: you should take a look at solarized theme. It has a LOT of scopes in it to inspire :wink:

0 Likes

I pulled the scopes from the theme I use, which I spun from the default Monokai a year ago or so, as well as the default Monokai itself, Base16 Default, & the two Soda themes (one of which is also based on Monokai).

I thought of casting a wider net, but I’m not sure if the result would more or less useful. I’m a little hesitant about adding keyword.control.import.include.php or punctuation.definition.constant.math.tex as the logical extension of that would be to plunder all syntax files for all scopes.

Maybe :smile:

0 Likes

Yeah, I am still thinking about how I can present the scope list to make them useful…

I guess if I can figure that out, I can decide how I would like the file formatted, but the list of scopes looks fine.

0 Likes

This looks interesting:
github.com/textmate/bundle-deve … ommand#L58

0 Likes

Linux is getting there:

Not all of the shortcuts work, but it is completely functional via buttons etc. This was built with an older wxpython, so I really need to build wx 2.9 on Ubuntu. Also, this was built on Ubuntu 11.X this did not run on 12.X due to some library issue. I may try and see if I can just build on Ubuntu 12.X.

I am not rushing this, so don’t hold your breath for a Linux release any time soon.

0 Likes

Ubuntu 12.10 is working fully now. I should have 0.0.8 posted later today or maybe tomorrow. It is built for 32Bit, so if the 32Bit binary runs on 64Bit, let me know.

If on a 32bit system, there are dependancies missing, let me know which ones you had to install, and please post the steps.

For 64Bit systems, you may have to install something like ia32-libs to get 32Bit running on Ubuntu 64. If you somehow get the binary working on 64Bit, please post instructions. I am not sure if I plan on installing a 64 Bit virtual machine or not and building this, so I may rely on others to build the 64 bit variant if it is desired.

0 Likes

0.0.8 for OSX and Linux are posted, windows will be posted as soon as I reboot and rebuild in windows.

-Fix issue with UUID and plist updating
-Add official Ubuntu 12.10 linux support (32 Bit)

0 Likes

Okay, Windows, OSX, and Ubuntu 0.0.8 is all posted.

0 Likes

Possibly (?) useful Linux testing feedback: On 64-bit Ubuntu 12.04, it works about as well as on 32-bit 12.04. The app loads and works, but there are issues with the font rendering (different ones) and with the widgets. I won’t bother you with the details since you’re building this for latter versions, but from the looks of it my guess would be that it works on 64-bit 12.10.

0 Likes

@quodlibet, thanks for the feedback, I am happy to hear it seems to work on 32 or 64 bit. I don’t currently do an architecture check, so the plugin should run fine on either. I wonder if building for 12.04, would work on 12.10…From what I understand, there is usually the thinking that building with the oldest linux you can can sometimes be better if the shared libraries are backwards compatible. I am pretty sure there was a significant jump from 11.X to 12.10, was there big differences in core stuff when Ubuntu jumped from 12.04 to 12.10? I am not completely sure if/when they dropped gnome2. Is 12.10 using gnome3? I might have a 12.04 VM image…maybe I will build wxpython 2.9 on 12.04 and see how the editor built on 12.04 performs on 12.10.

If you are interested, I can give you the steps to get your system ready and build it on 12.04? Once the dependencies are in place, building the the Color Scheme Editor is pretty easy.

0 Likes

12.04 is the LTS (Long-term support). There don’t seem to be vast differences between the two (they are both based on Gtk 3, which is what I thing you’re referring to with Gnome 3), but I think there have been updates to Gtk that have not been backported.

Thanks for the offer, but as I’m not a programmer, I’d rather not install a whole bunch of dependencies just for this. I’m also quite handy with creating themes (thanks in large part to ScopeHunter & PlistJsonConverter :smile: My main use for this would be go get a quick overview of a new tmTheme, which I can actually do at the moment in its half-working state.

0 Likes

Its not too bad, but as long as your happy with it. I’ll let you know if I end up building a 12.04 version.

0 Likes

Cool :smile:

0 Likes

@quodlibet, I tried the 12.10 in my 12.04 VM and it worked fine, but I went ahead and built a 12.04 32Bit anyways. Try it out and let me know how it goes:

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Version

0 Likes

An issue with some disappearing/flickering text is fixed on 32bit.

There’s an issue with the placement of the button (not a big deal) on 32-bit:
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/605 … schm32.png

On 64-bit I get a number of error about PangoFc. I’m assuming I’m missing some dependenices, but I haven’t looked at it too closely:
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/605 … schm64.png

Is this useful?

0 Likes

[quote=“quodlibet”]There’s an issue with the placement of the button (not a big deal) on 32-bit:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60500742/subclrschm32.png[/quote]

How reproducible is this. There is supposed to be code that automatically resizes the window to fit the button in. This used to be a problem for me as well, but it is supposed to be fixed. I am wondering if it is a bug that sometimes pops up, or if it is always like that for you. Worse case scenario if I can’t get it resized proper by default is allow the user to manually resize vertically.

[quote=“quodlibet”]On 64-bit I get a number of error about PangoFc. I’m assuming I’m missing some dependenices, but I haven’t looked at it too closely:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60500742/subclrschm64.png[/quote]

Not much I can say about that except try to apt-get install PangoFC I guess. I can make a note of it for others if that is the only missing dependency. I am testing on VMs that have all dependencies to build it, so it is hard for me to catch dependencies that others will be missing. Pyinstaller does its best to include everything it can when compiling the binary, but I guess it can’t include everything needed.

0 Likes