Sublime Forum

Quick question about "New File" in window menu

I tried to minimize the window using alt-space, n and it didn’t work. There are two items in the window control menu that use “n” because there is a strange New File item in there. Why is that there? Can I remove it?

0 Likes

I’ve also started noticing this sometimes being on my Sublime Text too (Windows 7 x64). At first I thought it was the Advanced New File plugin, but the author says that’s not possible as his plugin can’t alter the window.

I’ve just loaded up a couple of projects and now it’s no longer showing, but it’s definitely been there earlier today and over the last week.

For reference, it looks like this:
http://i.imgur.com/8kirRNr.png

edit: I’ve just found a way of reproducing the issue.

By default Sublime Text 2 does not open with the item in the Window menu. However, with ST2 window in focus, if I click the taskbar icon to make the application minimize/hide, and then click it again to restore the window, ‘New File’ now appears on the window menu function list.

0 Likes

Also occurs in ST3 (build 3026) - W7 x64.

0 Likes

This is a known bug in Sublime Text, and while I’ve seen it myself, I’ve never had any luck in reliably reproducing it.

0 Likes

Can confirm this with ST3 (Win7 x64). 100% reproducible in my case.

0 Likes

Ok. Thanks for the replies. It is really weird that this is actually a bug and not intended.

0 Likes

Confirmed this still occurs with Dev Build 3031. Consistently reproducible. (Win7 x64, Win8 x64)

1. Open ST3
  2. Click the ST3 icon on the taskbar to minimize the application window
  3. Click the ST3 icon on the taskbar to restore the application window

‘New File’ now appears on the ST3 system menu (also called the window menu or control menu).

0 Likes

davea: Thank you for the repro, it’ll be fixed in the next version.

This bug has been around since Sublime Text 1.0, released in 2008. I’ve seen it intermittently since then, but never reliably enough to reproduce it. I’m extremely glad to see it put to bed.

0 Likes