Sublime Forum

Git Users, please help

I am new to git, but I have a basic understanding of the commands.
I have the git plugin installed, but I have a couple of questions before I move code into git.

I am on Windows primarily, but I have a Mac next to me that ST2 settings are synced.
I have a NAS where I initially stored my code, but when I did a git init I could not find a .git folder. When I moved it to my local file system, git init worked fine.

First question, anyone have any luck using a NAS for git?

Second question, when setting up my repository, I want to store all my repositories on my NAS ideally. So I created a share called git (clever eh?).
Do I move my code over to this share, then create a repository (git init), then check it out some where else prior to editing it? or does git copy the file out into the .git folder and the file I originally started with a checked out version that is safe to edit?

On a side note, GitGutter is simply a brilliant plugin!

0 Likes

You might find better Git help on a Git related site.

0 Likes

Probably just hidden or did you get an error from git?

Yes. A checkout is a clone in git, btw. To synchronize your commits to the share, you do a git push and to get them on a other machine you do a git pull (after you have a clone, of course).

This question I do not understand :smile:

0 Likes

[quote=“schlamar”]

Probably just hidden or did you get an error from git?

Yes. A checkout is a clone in git, btw. To synchronize your commits to the share, you do a git push and to get them on a other machine you do a git pull (after you have a clone, of course).

This question I do not understand :smile:[/quote]

I have hidden files turned on, but I do not see it. When I do git init, nothing else works after, and sublime doesn’t give me option to add or anything. If I move it to local file system, it works fine.

I understand a check out is a clone, I guess what I am asking, if I have a folder with code, and I create a git repository there, should I continue editing from that folder, or should check it out to another folder and start working from there. I assume once I create the repository, and add the files I can continue to just work from that folder?

0 Likes

Did you git init in command line? If not do it and check the output.

And yes, you can directly work in this directory… Why not?!

0 Likes