Sublime Forum

Syntax highlighting for Cobol

Hello,
Well, the title speaks for itself.
Cobol is still used and could benefit from this wonderful - sublime! - text editor.
Is there any template for cobol ? I had a look at the textmate repository but couldn’t find anything, not even a skeleton to be enhanced.

Any idea - apart beginning from scratch ?

Regards

Alain

0 Likes

Cobol.zip (1.87 KB)Here is a first attempt to create a syntax highlighting for cobol.
Far from perfect but still a beginning.
If someone would like to give an opinion.

Regards.

0 Likes

Thanks for your effort! I’ve noticed that line-continued string literals play havoc with the highlighting (when there are odd numbers of quotes).

0 Likes

Has anyone updated this Cobol Syntax template yet? I am getting back into Cobol since the number of Cobol programs is coming back or porting from Cobol to something else, or building migration software… definitely need a better Syntax checker.

0 Likes

You should install the package from
https://packagecontrol.io/packages/COBOL%20Syntax

regards

0 Likes

Awesome, that actually worked out really well. I can now actually use this editor for my COBOL code. Now if they would just add the print command . :stuck_out_tongue:

0 Likes

I’m afraid the package site is no longer available.
Any ideas on where to get it?

0 Likes

Hello,
Here is a link to the package taken from my AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 3\Installed Packages
It is a zip file, easy to see the content, and the snippets.
Hope this can help.
Regards

0 Likes

Thanks for share the file. It is very nice contribution. Cheers

0 Likes

The repo of the syntax definition is still out there, but the hoster (bitbucket) changed the API. Therefore packagecontrol.io is not able to gather the required infos to provide the package at the moment.

You’d need to manually install the packages to be able to use it.

0 Likes