Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

prevent concurrent run of callback?

prevent concurrent run of callback?

Postby hgraca on Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:25 pm

Hi,

Im new to phyton and sublime plugin development.
I am now creating a plugin and at some point I want to get info from the user, and use that info in the next lines of code.

I have figured out how to get the info, but the lines after the user input are executed before the callback function.

Here's what I mean:
Code: Select all
window.show_input_panel("What is the new function name?", '', self.onNewFcNameGiven, None, None)
self.runCommandLine(self.view.file_name(), self.firstLine, self.lastLine, self.newFcName)

So on line 1 I ask for user input, the self.onNewFcNameGiven function receives the user input and puts it in the variable self.newFcName, which would be used in line 2. However line 2 executes before self.newFcName is set in the callback function in line 1.

So, how can I make line 2 run only after the callback function, in line 1, is finished?

Tkx in advance for any help.

Herb
hgraca

Re: prevent concurrent run of callback?

Postby skuroda on Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:49 pm

I'm confused. If you want to run the method after the input content panel has been given, why not just put it in the on_done callback?

class TestCommand(sublime_plugin.TextCommand):
    def run(self, edit):
        # Your other stuff here...
        window.show_input_panel("What is the new function name?", "", self.onNewFcNameGive, None, None)

def onNewFcNameGive(self, content):
        # Callback stuff here
        self.runCommandLine(self.view.file_name(), self.firstLine, self.lastLine, self.newFcName)

skuroda

Postby hgraca on Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:10 pm

I get your point, it defenitly works, however it doesn't seem right to be forced to create a new function every time I want to get user input...

What happens if I need 10 user inputs? I have to create and chain 10 functions?
It doesn't seem right... So beeing a rookie on this, I thought there should be some other way...
hgraca

Postby sapphirehamster on Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:12 pm

Yes, you will need to chain several functions. This is because the entire sublime process blocks while a plugin is running. I'm guessing this vastly simplifies concurrency issues.
sapphirehamster

Postby skuroda on Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:53 pm

If you are just storing the values, or want to perform the same actions on each input panel callback, you could probably do something like this.

class TestCommand(sublime_plugin.WindowCommand):
    def run(self):
        # Your other stuff here...
        self.map = {}
        self.keys = ["a", "b", "c", "d", "e"]
        self.key_index = 0
        self.window.show_input_panel("What is the new function name?", "", self.onNewFcNameGive, None, None)

def onNewFcNameGive(self, content):
        # Callback stuff here
        self.map[self.keys[self.key_index]] = content
        if len(self.map) == len(self.keys):
            print(self.map)
        else:
            self.key_index += 1
            self.window.show_input_panel("What is the new function name?", "", self.onNewFcNameGive, None, None)

Of course, rather than print the map, call whatever complete function you want.
skuroda

Postby hgraca on Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:41 am

Just for the record, I followed your advice and didn't waist more time looking for a way to do it (tkx).

However, I used a lambda function, just because it saved me from creating an extra non-lambda function (the callback can only have a string parameter and I needed to pass more parameters):
The input panel call:
window.show_input_panel("What is the new function name?", '', lambda newFcName: self.runCommandLine(self.view.file_name(), firstLine, lastLine, newFcName, execute), None, None)

The callback function signature:
def runCommandLine(self, filePath, fromLine, toLine, newFcName, execute=False):

Just tought of putting it here, it might be usefull to another rookie.

Tkx for your help.
hgraca

Return to Plugin Development