Sublime Forum

Vintage -- worth retraining?

I’ve used a lot of editors, and finally settled on Sublime Text for a bunch of reasons. One was that if I wanted to keep using emacs-derived operation, I could do that, but didn’t have to.

I’ve spent a little time getting ST2 to work with more-or-less standard emacs bindings for character, line, and screen navigation, setting/clearing the mark, and killing/yanking lines/regions. My emacs ability/dependence is not super developed yet, however. I can get around, but it’s not like breathing or some other sort of semi-voluntary action.

So I’m thinking about whether to turn on Vintage Mode, and learn those commands – and what the best place to learn them is. And, if I do, whether I should bite the bullet, dump all my emacs-type custom keybindings and just use vanilla ST2 key bindings for text entry mode, or whether my brain will likely be OK using the (kind of) familiar emacs navigation key combos in entry mode, then switching to vi for complicated editing.

0 Likes

Before you jump into vintage (or drop all your emacs ability), have you taken a look SublEmacsPro. I believe it was written to add Emacs style functionality/key bindings to ST, though it sounds like you already did some of that work.

0 Likes

I have seen Sublemacs, and it looks interesting. The thing about using advanced emacs all the time is that everything is chorded. I’ve never really taken sides on whether emacs or vi is more powerful, but at least from the outside looking in, vi looks like it would be a lot easier on my wrists.

0 Likes

Why not just give it a try? The only advice I can give would be to stick with it for at least a week to see if you are more productive with it. It took me a while before Vi(m) finally “clicked”.

0 Likes

I recommend Vim Adventures to learn about the basics or to discover previously unknown commands :smile:

0 Likes