Sublime Forum

Switching to ST3: themes and color schemes

Just purchased a license for ST3 (should have done that a long time ago)… and I have a couple quick questions:

1. Will color schemes like Soda and themes that work in ST2 also work in ST3?

2. Looking at the directory structure where ST3 stores its user stuff (I’m on Mac OS X), it’s not clear to me where I should put color scheme and theme files; can someone clarify which folder or sequence of folders ST3 uses for those? I see the following under ~/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/
    ./Cache/
    ./Local/
    ./Installed Packages/
    ./Packages/
    ./Packages/User/

Thanks.

/ron

0 Likes

I was just about to ask the same thing. I’ve been googling and searching through Finder all day trying to figure it out but no luck…

0 Likes

I believe most themes and color schemes work fine with ST2. Structurally, ST3 is the same as ST2. Packages will go into the /Packages folder. You can place your user specific stuff in /Packages/User. I’m guessing you used Package Control in ST2, so why not install it for ST3 as well? It is more of a manual installation process right now though. Before installing a package using package control, you may need to add the ST3 branch of a repository. Don’t be alarmed by the lack of packages in the /Packages folder. In ST3, packages are run directly from the .sublime-package files, rather than needing to be extracted.

0 Likes

@skuroda: Thanks for the follow-up. Actually, I didn’t use Package Control. With both Soda and the color schemes I use in ST2 being available on github, I just cloned the projects into the appropriate locations under ~/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 2/ and periodically pulled any updates.

If I’m reading your response correctly, I should be able to do that in …/Sublime Text 3/Packages/ and ST3 will find them?

/ron

0 Likes

Ah my mistake for assuming that. Sorry about that. But yes, you can put them all into Sublime Text 3/Packages directory as you did in ST2.

0 Likes